What's new

iPhone iCloud activation lock

UckoDucko

Reaction score
So my project recently has been to create a good, working iPhone 5s out of broken ones. I bought a total of 3 phones from friends, and swapped parts around from each to create one working iPhone. Hardware wise, everything seems to work fine, but after powering on I realised something.

The logic board is from my friends phone who forgot their password. I restored the phone and started to activate it, but then the iCloud activation lock showed up. Of course my friend forgets his apple id, so we tried resetting the apple id. To reset the password of the apple id, you need to input the 'trusted' mobile number. The phone number is now deactivated, and we do not know it. We looked everywhere to try find it, through messages in facebook, old contacts, and we could not find it. I'm now stuck on what to do, if I took it to an Apple store, would they fix it? Or would they think it was stolen? I have no reason to steal a phone, I have a perfectly working iPhone 6 which I use and wanted to fix another iPhone for learning purposes. Without much proof of my friend actually owning the account, I'm scared they will think it's stolen. What should I do?

Also, the logic boards from the other two phones are damaged, so I cannot use them (Display connectors are damaged)

Apple won’t look at your iPhone because you’ve assembled it from the pieces of several other iPhones. There’s no way to get past the Activation Lock without the Apple ID and password of the original owner.

Apple won’t look at your iPhone because you’ve assembled it from the pieces of several other iPhones. There’s no way to get past the Activation Lock without the Apple ID and password of the original owner.

Are they able to tell if I've used parts from other phones? I've only swapped the display over so far.

I can also get the original boxing of the phone, would that be proof of ownership?

No, that won’t be proof of the ownership. You will need the billing.

They will examine the phone, and they will notice what you’ve done.

Reactions: 933
No, that won’t be proof of the ownership. You will need the billing.

They will examine the phone, and they will notice what you’ve done.

What options do I have?

Unless your friend can remember his Apple ID and password or can produce proof or ownership that satisfies Apple, I’m afraid there are no other options.

I'm attempting to get proof of purchase and such now. Unfortunately there are no Apple stores nearby, so I will need to call Apple. Hopefully they can fix it over the phone.

I'm attempting to get proof of purchase and such now. Unfortunately there are no Apple stores nearby, so I will need to call Apple. Hopefully they can fix it over the phone.
It’s your friend that will have to call Apple, not you. He’s the original owner and the only person Apple will deal with, if he can provide proof of purchase.