What's new

iPhone exchange & upgrade

skumars25

Reaction score
Dear friends,

I have bought an jail broken iPhone 3gs an year back and now the iPhone glass is broken (scratches) but it is working fine with any issues.
I am currently in U.S on a business trip and Can I upgrade to iPhone 4 or 4S after resetting to factory settings on my current iPhone 3gs?

Please advise.

thanks,
Kumar

Yes, i have that setup ready.. my request more towards after the fact.. i have reset to factory settings then can i able to upgrade to iPhone 4 or 4s by paying some money in apple store?

thanks

Since my iphone glass has few cracks, I am looking for replacing the iphone (and i believe i can upgrade the OS part on my own).
Please let me know whether it is possible.

thanks

Guys - any help or suggestion would help a lot? Please provide your feedback

If the screen is cracked, Apple won't give you much for it. Plus it's a 3GS, so you really won't get much on top of that. You'd probably have a better chance selling the 3GS online, and use that money with a bit of extra to buy a new device. If you insist on getting it from Apple without an eligible upgrade, you'll be paying close to $400-700 for a brand new 4, 4s or 5 from Apple. The 4 is free with eligible upgrades, the 4S is $99 and the 5 is $199 from major carriers. Compare that to the $400-700 MSRP before tax of not having an eligible upgrade when buying direct from Apple.

So practically this is not possible without paying all most full cost of an iPhone...
Do you guys have any other better way to trade off the old iPhone and get a 4 or 4s model by paying less ($100 to $200)

Thanks

So practically this is not possible without paying all most full cost of an iPhone...
Do you guys have any other better way to trade off the old iPhone and get a 4 or 4s model by paying less ($100 to $200)

Thanks

The only practical way to get a new iPhone at a cheap price is to sign up for a multi-year contract with a cellular carrier. As you are just visiting the U.S., this would not be possible in your case.

Last edited:
The only way to get an iPhone at that price is off the internet, and that doesn't guarantee that your device is not a blocked/blacklisted device. It's a buy at a own risk thing when buying high demand phones like iPhones off the web.

Very sad to know that its not possible to exchange with apple store.. unfortunate that even after resetting the factory settings its become non-jailbroken product but can not be exchanged or upgraded to a new iphone 4 or 4s..
Let me go and figure out is there any other local agents in SFO who can help us on this..

Unless you are still within the whatever days of return period, apple will not let you exchange your older device to a newer device, not even to a different color of the same device, regardless of conditions.

Your best bet would be selling your older device online, but I doubt a used, scratched 3gs would even cover 10% of an iphone 5 price.