What's new

iPhone doesn't show up in My Computer

Checked that Jimmy. It was already set to automatic and the status is listed as started.

Open Services again, right click the service and Stop it. Now run iTunes.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Okay guys here's an update. I tried everything you said but nothing worked. I re-installed iTunes 3 times but it didn't seem to make any difference. I downloaded that DiskAid program that was in that link you sent above Jimmy and once it was downloaded and installed I took a few photos with the iPhone to test it out. When I went into My Computer the phone was there! So I downloaded the photos to a folder and with no photos on the phone I disconnected it and then reconnected it and again the phone wasn't there. I unplugged it again took a photo and connected it to the laptop and there it was plain as day. It seems that the iPhone doesn't appear in My Computer unless there are photos on it to be downloaded. Now that's a new one on me. My old Samsung appeared whether there were photos or not. So anyway the problem is fixed, thanks for all the help and if anyone comes on with this problem in the future tell them to take a photo and check again.

That's really weird, nice you found a solution.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Mine doesn't show up once in a while or tells me there is an error connecting and iTunes can't sync. I reboot my phone and computer twice and it will come back - odd. I have a 4S though. Glad to see you found the cause, as unusual as it is.

What is also interesting is the fact that I can't go into Photoshop CS5 and click open on the iPhone folder, select all my photos and open them in Photoshop. It just doesn't work. I get a message saying that Photoshop can't open multiple files from this location, please select a single file and try again, or words to that effect. I have to create a folder on my desktop, open the iPhone folder and select all the photos and drag them into the new folder. Once there I can open that folder in Photoshop, select everything and open as normal in Photoshop. Weird!