What's new

iPhone doesn't show up in My Computer

Gozoman

Reaction score
I've had my iPhone 5 for about a week now and still getting used to stuff. I had problems downloading photos to my laptop but I found I could do it by right clicking the iPhone in 'My Computer' and doing it from there. Now when I connect the iPhone to my Sony Laptop it doesn't even appear in My Computer. Before it was there right under Local Disc C but now nothing. It still makes the sound when I connect the phone to the laptop as if it is seeing that a device has been attached but it just doesn't show up. Is it possible that I have made some change in settings that has made the phone invisible to the computer?

Reinstall iTunes.
Try use different USB Port and USB Cable.
Don't use USB hub, if you're using.

Clean up your laptop, use Advance System Care. it's free.

Hope it help and keep us posted.

Try this:
1) Open Windows Task Manager
2) Right click on AppleMobileDeviceService.exe and click on End Process Tree
3) Open iTunes
4) Connect your iPhone 5

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

@Jimmysatsos. I don't have AppleMobileDeviceService.exe. What I have is AppleMobileDeviceHelper.exe *32 whatever that is!

Then reinstall iTunes as @Astrix said.

Sorry Astrix I missed your reply there. I have a Sony Vaio and there are three USB hubs on the right side. I've tried them all and it makes no difference. I only have the one USB to iPhone cable so I can't try another of those at the minute. I haven't reinstalled iTunes yet but why would that effect what I see in the 'My Computer' window?

iTunes is the driver for every iOS device. If iTunes not working properly then you can't see your device.

Okay I'll try reinstalling it. I'm just wondering if the '32' in AppleMobileDeviceHelper.exe *32 is referring to a 32 bit system as mine is 64 bit and the verson of iTunes I installed was definately 64 bit. Anyway I'll reinstall it.

Yes...what Jimmy said. It's all about drivers.
It's software (drivers) that communicate it.

iPhone, Android, Camera...etc. Same principal.

*32 is normal, I have Windows 7 x64 and it's the same as you

Okay I uninstalled iTunes and then reinstalled it. Made no difference, the phone still doesn't show in My Computer! I'm thinking that I have turned something off in settings which is causing this but I don't know where to look.

1) Close iTunes and disconnect the iPhone
2) Click the Windows Start button
3) In the Start Search field type services
4) In the Programs section of the search results, click Services
5) Right click on Apple Mobile Device service and click Properties in the shortcut menu
6) Set the Startup type pop-up menu to Automatic and click OK

If the above service is already set to automatic, you just need to right click on the service name and then select start, so that service gets started.

Just checked in Task Manager again and AppleMobileDeviceService.exe is still not there. In fact there is nothing there associated with Apple. I think I will uninstall iTunes again and then switch off for the night, then tomorrow I will try reinstalling iTunes again and rebooting the iPhone and see what happens.

Look at my last post and let us know if it helped.