What's new

iPhone disabled and need to backup

Z33Z00

Reaction score
A little bit of background info, iPhone 4S on TMobile using a 3GP gevey sim. I dropped it the other day and the digitizer suffered a "stroke", half the screen works and half doesn't. I can't enter my passcode to unlock the phone and managed to disable the phone until my replacement screen arrives in the mail. My question is when I connect my iPhone to iTunes, it asks to set it up as a new phone or restore it from an old backup. I don't have any old backups and I'm afraid to select "set up as new phone" because I'm not sure if it will set it to factory settings and erase all my stuff.

Even when the new replacement screen arrives and it fixes the phone, will I be able to enter the passcode and be on my merry way or do I still need to connect it to iTunes. Basically, how do I access my iPhone through iTunes without losing my info and data?

The only thing I can do right now is hit "accept" when someone calls me, I can't even see text messages or other notifications and the slider won't reach all the way to the other side because the digitizer only partially works.

Thanks in advance.

Assuming it's not at the "Phone is disabled" screen upon bootup and such, then you can still retrieve your info. If it says Phone is disabled because of too many passcode entries, that's the same as trying to break into a hi-sec safe with only your bare hands.

If I go to an apple store, will they be able to bypass it assuming I prove its my phone? The screen says "iPhone is disabled".

No. They might be able to retrieve some data from it, but the data that it retrieves isn't worth the hair thinning while waiting for it

Sent from my iPad via Tapatalk

So I'll have to start off fresh or restore from an ancient backup? What's the damage I'm looking at.. Contacts, music, text history, apps I can deal with. My major concern is having to update and whether my Gevey sim will work on iOS 7 and I might lose all network capabilities.

What if I put my phone in DFU mode and then plug it into iTunes? I'm looking for any way to keep as much data before eventually having to restore it.

The current version of iOS is 6.1.3. GPP is still working on 6.1.3 and 6.1.4