What's new

iphone could not be restored unknown error (-1)

nas1234

Reaction score
Hi there I own an iphone 3gs, recently a pop up message has been appearing stating activation required on numerous occasions. When I connect it to itunes to restore it keeps switching on and off. I managed to put it in DFU mode, however when I try and restore the phone the following message keeps appearing "iphone could not be restored unknown error (-1)". I kept trying and trying, re installed itunes, tried restoring on a different account but still no luck. Ive went to the apple shop and phoned customer care but they have no clue what to do. Please can anyone help me?

nas1234 said:
Trying to restore to Ios5

Surely hard if u didn't save your blobs. Apple isn't signing iOS5.0 anymore, and the version is still Semi-tethered anyway, maybe u should try iOS 5.0.1 ,and use iFaith to save blobs for it, so that u would save problems wit future restores. I'm on 3GS too, running iOS 5.0.1 semitethered, works fine.

"Surely hard if u didn't save your blobs. Apple isn't signing iOS5.0 anymore, and the version is still Semi-tethered anyway, maybe u should try iOS 5.0.1 ,and use iFaith to save blobs for it, so that u would save problems wit future restores. I'm on 3GS too, running iOS 5.0.1 semitethered, works fine."

Sorry to sound stupid but youve completely lost me...

Ive used RedSn0w to try and kick it out of restore but on the screen it just says please wait... then after a few minutes goes back to square one.

Sorry to sound stupid but youve completely lost me...[/COLOR]
What was meant is... it's not possible to update your device to iOS 5.0. The only firmware that Apple will allow you to update to is 5.0.1. You're attempting to update via iTunes correct?

Yes ive tried to update via Itunes... How do I go about updating to 5.01 instead of 5.0

If you're using the lastest version of iTunes it will automatically install 5.0.1 when you choose to update.

I have just downloaded the latest version and the following message appears when trying to update The iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (3194).

Ive managed to get it out of recovery and update to 5.0 on redSn0w. However when It tells me to connect to Itunes, It picks up the iphone only to switch off and restart again. It keeps doing this continuously...