What's new

iphone and available options for delete an individual message (email) form an inbox

zillah

Reaction score
Dear Experts

currently I am using blackberry bold 9780, and I had setup my gmail account and work account ,,,,both of them using IMAP

On my blackberry mobile when I want to delete an individual I repeat individual email ( blackberry calls it message) from the gmail inobx or work inbox, I have got three options :

" On Mailbox & Handheld "

" On Handheld "

" Cancel "

If I choose the option " On Mailbox & Handheld " the individual email will be deleted from my blackberry and my outlook mail client and webmail.

If I choose the option " On Handheld " the individual email will be deleted from my blackberry only and still I can see that email sitting on my outlook and webmail

If course I can height-light many messages (emails) and choose what delete option I would like.

I am looking to use iPhone because they have heaps of application comparing to blackberry.

Is such an option available for iphone ?

Regards

I recall that you can delete individual messages, or many messages at once. But for each mail account, you have to choose to delete from server, or leave on server. I have mine set to remove deleted messages from the server after a week. I have never gotten a choice for individual messages whether to keep or delete from server, I had to set it up for that account.

Thanks for your input

I recall that you can delete individual messages, or many messages at once.
I guess here is a typo , you mean to say : I recall that you can not delete ,,,,,,,,not is missing ,,,,,,,,Isn't ?

Cheers

Thanks for your input
I guess here is a typo , you mean to say : I recall that you can not delete ,,,,,,,,not is missing ,,,,,,,,Isn't ?

Cheers

Nope, you CAN delete individual or multiple emails from your phone inbox.

The iphone 4s uses a combined inbox for all of your email accounts. YOu can configure each account separately (on one of them you delete messages from the server when you delete them from your phone, the other never removes the message from the server). When you are in your email inbox, you can hit the edit button (top right), and you will then see little balloons (for want of a better word) to the left of the individual message, and you can click one, or many, then you can delete them, or move them. If you delete them, they will be deleted from your inbox, but will follow your settings for the individual email account with regard to deleting from server. When you refresh to get new mail, mail that has been deleted from your phone will not show up again on your phone (if you opted to keep on server).

I have my accounts set up to never remove emails from the server. My computer is my main vehicle for replying to business emails. I also have it set up to send myself a copy of each email I reply to on my phone, that way when I go to my computer and download my emails, I always have a copy of the original, plus my reply. I keep most of my business messages in folders so I can use them for reference, thus I want them on my computer. I do check my mail frequently on my phone so I can take action if needed and I'm away from my computer, but I still want it downloaded to my computer.

Clear as mud?

Last edited:
Thanks for that
appreciate your time for replying