What's new

iPhone 6S 'batterygate'

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
There's an interesting writeup over at BGR regarding the new "batterygate" problems with the iPhone 6S. Apparently, there are two different versions of the iPhone 6S with two different versions of the Apple A9 chip. Some are made by Samsung and some are made by TSMC, but they each have a different manufacturing process. Supposedly, the smaller (14nm) Samsung chip is the one causing the problems. This is the opposite of what you would expect.

For more of the details, check out the write up here: Don't freak out about the iPhone 6s' processor yet: What you need to know about 'Batterygate'

How can I figure out what chip I have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How can I figure out what chip I have

If you download an app such as the free lirum app to your iPhone and go to the bottom of the main page after opening the app, you'll see one of several model numbers.
Lirum Device Info Lite - System Monitor on the App Store
N71AP on the 6s or N66AP on the 6s Plus mean you have the Samsung chip.
If you have N71MAP on the 6s or N66MAP on the 6s Plus you have the TSMC chip.

Last edited:
Dang got the Samsung chip. Wonder if that's why I get crazy 10% drops at random times. My phone will burn through 69% to 59% then hold for a good while in the 50%.

N71mAP i have, but My old 6 battery performance was better

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

I have the Samsung chip as well, but I don't see any differences in comparison to my 6plus.