What's new

iphone 5s not making sounds, only vibrates

daphne_d

Reaction score
my iphone 5s ( new) will only make a sound for a phone call, anything else is only a vibration. I checked all of the sound choices and the only one that makes a sound is the phone one. I have all of the options under sounds turned on, the volume is up and the button on the side is on. I had this problem a lot with my old iphone, and am ready to go to a different phone system.

Reset your iPhone:
Press and hold Home and Power button until the Apple logo appears. Let go of both. Let your device power up.
If it's just a glitch, resetting this way will remove it, but it won't change settings or remove data.

Also take a look at your docking port. Make sure there's no debris. Clean it cautiously, and see if this changes the situation.

Resetting all settings is the next step, if the two before didn't help. This has to be done in Settings - General - Reset. It will set back all the settings to default, which means you'll have to look through the Settings app again after this reset, to enable/disable/set up everything as preferred.

Thank you for your quick response. I had already done the first things you suggested, so I reset the settings and it is working- like magic. appreciate your help.

Reset your iPhone:
Press and hold Home and Power button until the Apple logo appears. Let go of both. Let your device power up.
If it's just a glitch, resetting this way will remove it, but it won't change settings or remove data.

Also take a look at your docking port. Make sure there's no debris. Clean it cautiously, and see if this changes the situation.

Resetting all settings is the next step, if the two before didn't help. This has to be done in Settings - General - Reset. It will set back all the settings to default, which means you'll have to look through the Settings app again after this reset, to enable/disable/set up everything as preferred.

I did all these things, and the text and phone sounds are working. The FB tone is not working, so I don't know if someone instant messages me on FB. Any suggestions?

Have you gone to Settings>Notifications>Messenger>Sounds and made sure that the Facebook Messenger sounds are set to on?

I finally figured out that I had turned off the general notifications setting.... so that I wouldn't get the notifications every time something happened with an app. My text messages notified me ok, but fb wouldn't. I turned that on, and now it works! Can't believe I didn't see that one... I looked at every other notification setting.
Thanks,