What's new

iPhone 5 Will Not Now Have NPC Capabilities

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
NFC.JPG

A story in the Independent today reveals that, despite many stories to the contrary, Apple will not now be adding Near Field Communication (NFC) capability to the next iteration of the iPhone. The Independent says that according to sources at some of the UK’s leading mobile carriers, Apple has said in meetings with the carriers that the iPhone 5 will most definitely not be getting in-built NFC technology, which the Independent calls “wave and pay”, a very good description of what NFC actually is! One of the Independent ‘s sources on the matter told them that Apple has decided to hold off on implementing NFC for now because it is “concerned by the lack of a clear standard across the industry.” The Independent adds that Apple is also working on its own NFC setup, which would enable payments via iTunes, and which it is looking to install in the iPhone, but most likely not until 2012.

Source: Apple rejects 'wave and pay' for new iPhone - News, Gadgets & Tech - The Independent

Looks like RIM will have a leg up on them then. The next gen Blackberrys due out THIS year are supposed to have it. Certainly before the iphone 6 arrives as RIM launches its new OS and processors around summer.

im pretty sure ijustine already had done a review on an app that turns your iphone into a a credit card machine that can accept them, but you put this thing on top of it

"will not now"? Hurt my brain to read your title. Take out the now.

I purchased an iphone stand at the Apple Store last weekend and the sales girl had a case on her iphone that she swipped my credit card on and then it emailed the receipt to me. Cool