What's new

IPhone 5 WiFi bug leads to giant cellular data overages

andrzejls

Reaction score
I jusr read that article on CNN TECH. Is any one expearience same issue?

Oh yeah, ton of people on the site with iPhone 5s on VZW have mentioned this.

Skull One,
Do you think that this issue is only on VZN or on all major carriers?.

My current understanding, based on the tech blogs earlier this morning, it is a VZW only situation. But I am still waiting to see who else is affected ;). Because I agree with what you are thinking. IF it can happen to one provider, it can happen to all.

My current understanding, based on the tech blogs earlier this morning, it is a VZW only situation. But I am still waiting to see who else is affected ;). Because I agree with what you are thinking. IF it can happen to one provider, it can happen to all.
Yes,
You are absolutely correct. I still have 4s updated to iOS6. We have unlimited (AT&T) data plan, but I would not like to see 10GB of usage due to this issue. Please keep us informed on latest developments.

FRESH OFF THE PRESS!!!!

This was posted 15 minutes ago about AT&T. But I think this bug is now limited to iPhone 5s only. I just checked my iPhone 4S cellular (VZW) data usage under iOS 6 (been on it since the first beta) for the last 2 months and I see no extra data usage. So I think you are now officially safe.

iPhone 5 carrier data leak bug might not be Verizon only | 9to5Mac

Skull, I don't understand some things in the settings. When we are home are we suppose to go to wifi and shut off cellular? Is shutting off cellular necessary? If not, what's the point?

I jusr read that article on CNN TECH. Is any one expearience same issue?

Just because it wasn't mentioned, if you plug into iTunes there is a carrier update to fix this. Reboot phone after you are finished.

Skull, I don't understand some things in the settings. When we are home are we suppose to go to wifi and shut off cellular? Is shutting off cellular necessary? If not, what's the point?

iOS (all versions) prior to the iPhone 5's new radio code, would automatically flip to a memorized WiFi spot the second it saw it. It has worked nearly perfectly for me since I switched to iOS based devices.

Based on the tech blogs, it seems that the iPhone 5's version of that code under iOS 6 has a failure. It looks like the cellular data connection is not being turned off (IE being switched to the WiFi IP) when WiFi is automatically connected. This is a pretty big failure and one that should have never made it out the door. Much less took them over a week to figure out and fix.

VZW customers can get the update, which I know you have, that will fix this condition and should make your iPhone behave the same way as every prior iPhone has. Wonder how long AT&T and the rest will take to push out a fix.

iOS (all versions) prior to the iPhone 5's new radio code, would automatically flip to a memorized WiFi spot the second it saw it. It has worked nearly perfectly for me since I switched to iOS based devices.

Based on the tech blogs, it seems that the iPhone 5's version of that code under iOS 6 has a failure. It looks like the cellular data connection is not being turned off (IE being switched to the WiFi IP) when WiFi is automatically connected. This is a pretty big failure and one that should have never made it out the door. Much less took them over a week to figure out and fix.

VZW customers can get the update, which I know you have, that will fix this condition and should make your iPhone behave the same way as every prior iPhone has. Wonder how long AT&T and the rest will take to push out a fix.

I am confused. I was referring specifically to where the setting for cellular cut off is. Now is that part of the fix, has it always been there? And do I need to shut that down when on WiFi? Or now that I have the fix it's something I don't need to worry about.

I am confused. I was referring specifically to where the setting for cellular cut off is. Now is that part of the fix, has it always been there? And do I need to shut that down when on WiFi? Or now that I have the fix it's something I don't need to worry about.

You should never have to manually do anything with the WiFi to cellular and cellular to WiFi roll over. Up until this bug, it has simply worked without user intervention.

But if you want to manually do it yourself under iOS 6 go to Settings -> General -> Cellular Data and flip it on and off as needed. But since you are on the 13.1 VZW radio code, technically you don't need to do this.

You should never have to manually do anything with the WiFi to cellular and cellular to WiFi roll over. Up until this bug, it has simply worked without user intervention.

But if you want to manually do it yourself under iOS 6 go to Settings -> General -> Cellular Data and flip it on and off as needed. But since you are on the 13.1 VZW radio code, technically you don't need to do this.

Good, because that just seemed like too much extra to do. Bad enough I don't have a widget to turn of wifi and bluetooth. Yes, I know I'm griping about a minor thing, but you know I had Android since the OD came out. I remember sitting there looking at it and trying to figure out what I was suppose to do with it. :)

Verizon handled the issue in a timely manner IMHO.

Good, because that just seemed like too much extra to do. Bad enough I don't have a widget to turn of wifi and bluetooth. Yes, I know I'm griping about a minor thing, but you know I had Android since the OD came out. I remember sitting there looking at it and trying to figure out what I was suppose to do with it. :)

Verizon handled the issue in a timely manner IMHO.

I still have my Droid A855 running CM 7 beside my bed for when I get really bored at night ;)

And yes it is tough some days when I try to do certain things in iOS and it takes about 3 to 5 more steps than it did on the Droid. But then I remember the phone calls and text messages I missed and I get over it really fast. :D