What's new

international data overage problem

wallywimple

Reaction score
I received an email from AT&T about excessive data usage on my son's iphone. He told me that he had shut the data access off. He's 17 and yes that is relevant. My question is this: Could there be any apps out there that would bypass the iphone's data access? He told me that he was just using the WIFI over in Austria. Does anyone know what would happen if the WIFI was not able to handle the data stream? Even with the data access turned off, might the phone or some program ignore that switch? I got the first message from AT&T when the overage was $100+. They shut the data off and that part of his phone doesn't work even now that he is back in the states, which does not really bother me. I have no idea what the bill is.

If your son leaves his data connection on even though there's a wifi connection, and he steps out of range of the wifi network, data will kick in and start accruing. Apps do not bypass the data toggle. Unless your son has data turned on, there's no way that applications or any portion of the phone will use data.

That is what I wanted know. He said he had it turned off, but evidently that was not true. Thank you.