What's new

iPhone 5 speaker not working

JumboPilot

Reaction score
Hello all! This is my first post as a new member. I've scanned the forum for a similar situation with no luck, so here's my shout out for help!

Thanks in advance for your assist here.

My iPhone 5 speaker stopped working entirely several days ago. I can hear voice on the headset and iPhone earpiece, but when I try to use the speaker or YouTube or set a ring tone, nothing comes out of the speaker. In settings I can get the phone to "vibrate when ring" but cannot get any sound out anywhere.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
JumboPilot

Hello all! This is my first post as a new member. I've scanned the forum for a similar situation with no luck, so here's my shout out for help! Thanks in advance for your assist here. My iPhone 5 speaker stopped working entirely several days ago. I can hear voice on the headset and iPhone earpiece, but when I try to use the speaker or YouTube or set a ring tone, nothing comes out of the speaker. In settings I can get the phone to "vibrate when ring" but cannot get any sound out anywhere. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Cheers, JumboPilot
Do you get sound in the EarPods when you plug them into the headphone jack? If so, there maybe some debris in the headphone jack thats stopping the speakers from working when the EarPod plug is removed from the headphone jack. Shine a strong light into the headphone jack and see if you can see anything that may be trapped in there. If there is something there, a small nozzle on a vacuum cleaner could be held on the jack to try and suck out the debris.

Volume for the bottom speaker can sometimes stop for game sounds, videos and etc. I discovered if you go to YouTube and turn the volume all the way down, then all the way up, it corrects that somehow. I had the same issue. My phone's volume was all the way up. But when I went to YouTube, it was down about half way. So I turned it all the way down, then all the way up. The bottom speaker worked again. A hard reset may help as well. Press both the top power button and the home button at the same time until the Apple logo appears, then release.

Last edited:
Do you get sound in the EarPods when you plug them into the headphone jack? If so, there maybe some debris in the headphone jack thats stopping the speakers from working when the EarPod plug is removed from the headphone jack. Shine a strong light into the headphone jack and see if you can see anything that may be trapped in there. If there is something there, a small nozzle on a vacuum cleaner could be held on the jack to try and suck out the debris.

Thank you for the tip. I do get sound through my EarPods, but unfortunately a super strong suction from my vacuum did not produce results. I've double checked my settings and all seems to be in correct order, but I may be missing something? I also did the hard reset another member suggested with no joy.

Short of going to the Apple store, any other suggestions would be appreciated thanks!!

Thank you for the tip. I do get sound through my EarPods, but unfortunately a super strong suction from my vacuum did not produce results. I've double checked my settings and all seems to be in correct order, but I may be missing something? I also did the hard reset another member suggested with no joy.

Short of going to the Apple store, any other suggestions would be appreciated thanks!!
Since you do get sound through your EarPods the problem is almost certainly with the switch in the headphone jack that shuts off the speaker when headphones are plugged in. The switch could be jammed in the off position or could be broken.

If if you shine a strong light into the socket do you see any debris that could be jamming the speaker switch? It may be jammed in too tight to be sucked out with your vacuum cleaner. If the switch is not jammed but broken it would have to be repaired or replaced. Likewise, if some debris is jamming the switch and can't be sucked out, disassembly by a repair shop may be necessary to fix the problem.

I recommend end that you make a Genius Bar appointment at the nearest Apple Store to have the problem properly diagnosed.

It's not recommended to poke around in the headphone jack with any type of tool as it is quite easy to cause damage to the jack.