What's new

iPhone 5 signal strength

azonie

Reaction score
Sitting here in my house with my iPhone 5 and wife's iPhone 4. The iPhone 4 has 4 bars when iPhone 5 only has 3 bars.

Why would iPhone 4 have stronger signal than iPhone 5.

I was always told you can't go off the bars. I forget how you look into it though.

~iPhoneMommy~

Sent from my Black, 16GB, iPhone 5 using Tapatalk.

Take the case/bumper off the iPhone 4 and place your finger across the bottom left gap. Do the same on the iPhone 5. Watch which phones has the better signal after 1 minute :D

Skull One said:
Take the case/bumper off the iPhone 4 and place your finger across the bottom left gap. Do the same on the iPhone 5. Watch which phones has the better signal after 1 minute :D

Ah yes... good ole "Antenna Gate!"

Try re-setting your network settings. I bought an ip5 yesterday, was only getting about 6mbps download when I was getting about that with my 4. Strangely, a mile away from my house i was getting 50s.

Called ATT, they said that they have four towers in my area, one of which (the one closest) was being worked on off and on for the next three months. Recommended that I re-set the network settings.

Settings/general/reset/reset network settings

I did that and jumped to 38-39mpbs download, 19-20 upload!

worth a shot

You're talking about a data signal, which isn't the same thing as a phone signal.

You're talking about a data signal, which isn't the same thing as a phone signal.

True, but the network reset looks for a stronger/better tower in the area and connects to that, regardless if it's the closest...and I'm guessing that would improve phone signal as well.

I find my iphone 5 to have exceptional signal strength in areas that are quite challenging or difficult. So far comparing to many other phones I have gone through like androids, blackberries, all iPhones and so on the 5 seems to be a great performing phone.

But doesn't the number of bars determine the strength of the signal.

Mine always have two bars but when I call or someone calls me, it automatically have 5 bars and after the call it drops down to two. I never experienced this with my other iPhones. No drop call though.

But doesn't the number of bars determine the strength of the signal.

No. both phones might be getting -94Dbm, but if one has the graphics programmed to show 5 bars starting at -93Dbm and another one is programmed with -95Dbm being the cut off, they both have the same signal quality, but one is going to show 4 bars and one will show 5 bars.

And here is a simple way to have your Phone show the signal strength rather than the generic bars.

Here are the instructions from Redmond Pie:
Step 1: Dial *3001#12345#* on your iPhone then press Call.
Step 2: You'll now enter Field Test mode. You'll notice a signal strength indicator on the upper left hand corner of your screen. You can toggle between signal strength bars and a number by simply taping on it. At this point, press the home button to exit the app or if you would like the feature to be permanent, continue on. Don't worry, the process is completely reversible.
Step 3: Hold down on the Power button until you see the ‘slide to power off' bar. Do not power off the device.
Step 4: Press down on the Home button until the app closes and you return to your home screen.
That's it. Even when restarting the iPhone, the signal strength can be toggled between bars and numbers. The closer your number is to zero, the stronger your signal is.
The lower your number, the stronger your signal—but don't include the - sign when evaluating (so, if the signal says -60, that's better than -90).
To return to the default bars permanently, follow these steps:
Step 1: Dial *3001#12345#* on your iPhone then press Call.
Step 2: Press on your Home Button once.

And.... to add to the others, signal strength is a matter of inches, or less, in a crowded environment. Move the device just a bit and another bar shows up or diminishes.