What's new

iPhone 5 Shortage Blamed on Intricate Design

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
8271-iphone-5-2.JPG

The Wall Street Journal’s Digits tech blog has an interview with a Foxconn executive today which sheds some light on the iPhone 5 supply shortage. In the interview, the unnamed executive says that the iPhone 5 is:

“…the most difficult device that Foxconn has ever assembled. To make it light and thin, the design is very complicated. It takes time to learn how to make this new device. Practice makes perfect. Our productivity has been improving day by day.”

The WSJ says that the executive stated that Foxconn has made efforts to improve productivity, as well as to prevent the metal case getting scratched during the manufacturing process. One of these measures includes adding a new quality-control check. Tellingly, though, the executive says that the iPhone 5 uses a new coating substance that is more easily scratched, adding, “It’s always hard to satisfy both aesthetic needs and practical needs.”

Source: Hon Hai’s Explanation for iPhone 5 Shortage - Digits - WSJ

I still blame Foxconn in this case then. If you can't manufacture the devices as you say you can, don't whine about the design being complicated when in reality you can't deliver on that promise.

Oscar_D_Grouch I agree with you right up until one point. That bloody aluminum backed body should have been designed better by Apple to avoid scratches. From what I have been reading, it causes a lot of grief with the floor workers putting the parts into the body. They have to worry about two things instead of just one right now.

I put a small dent in the aluminum back on day 2. It was in my pocket and was lightly hit by a ratchet strap while I was tying down my trailer load. I immediately went and got an Otterbox after that, until a thinner case I like comes out. That has been my only disappointment with the new i5. It doesn't seem as durable as my 4 was. I went naked with that phone for 2 years.

I fully agree that the aluminum should be designed better but i still think the onus is on Foxconn as they've been in the business long enough to know if they can manufacture a poor design without all of these issues arising.