What's new

Iphone 5 power button not working

blessed

Reaction score
Anyone else having an issue with the power button not working on the iPhone 5? I've contacted apple and they ARE aware but gave me some nonsense about no longer being under warranty. I find this interesting because this is a hardware issue. I will most likely call back and speak with someone else

Hi blessed-no sorry, I my power button is working fine. Shouldn't your iPhone 5 have a full year warranty on it-it hasn't been a year yet has it?

Also, have you used the assistive touch feature to control your phone off/on. That may help you on the interim until you get this resolved.

Go to settings-general-accessibility-assistive touch-turn ON.

I have been having a bit of trouble with the top power button. Like it isn't very responsive. I haven't decided if it is the button not working or my case interfering. I have a new case on order and should be in just any day now. I was hoping that would solve the problem.

All iPhone 5 has 1 year warranty, and the apple shops are very keen to help

itzmeigh said:
I have been having a bit of trouble with the top power button. Like it isn't very responsive. I haven't decided if it is the button not working or my case interfering. I have a new case on order and should be in just any day now. I was hoping that would solve the problem.

THAT'S just how it starts. From my previous dealings with apple they have ALWAYS been very accommodating, however, the rep that we had the other week must have been a former android employee and has yet to be schooled on the exemplary service that apple gives to their customers because that person acted as if we've had the phone for 10 years! When I have a few minutes to waste, I'll get back on the phone and start again, or if not just make an appt.

Skimonkey said:
Hi blessed-no sorry, I my power button is working fine. Shouldn't your iPhone 5 have a full year warranty on it-it hasn't been a year yet has it?

Also, have you used the assistive touch feature to control your phone off/on. That may help you on the interim until you get this resolved.

Go to settings-general-accessibility-assistive touch-turn ON.

Yep. I'm currently using that now. It's my only other option. The rep was nice enough to tell me that.

blessed said:
Yep. I'm currently using that now. It's my only other option. The rep was nice enough to tell me that.

Ok. Just got off the phone with them again, and I've got to tell you, I'm a bit disappointed. Since we don't have an apple care plan we no longer qualify for phone support, however, since it is a hardware issue, they agreed to speak with me long enough to gather my info so they can send a box for us to ship the phone back to them. Seems like the stellar customer service passed away with Steve Jobs :-(

About 3 weeks after I got my Iphone 5 my power button would only work if it was pressed more on the right side. After a day of pressing it and my screen remaining on I took it in to the apple store and with my care my they replaced it.

Same thing happened to my son. His became so bad that the button wouldn't work at all. He had to use the "assisted device" to lock the screen. Typical Apple (just LOVE them) said bring it in and they would replace it. He was in and out in about 5 mins!!! LOVE APPLE!!!!