What's new

iPhone 4S using data when I'm doing nothing?

JooK

Reaction score
I'm on my wifi network at home and for the most part i'm not even really using my phone. Yet everytime i check, my data usage goes up. I'm not on a data plan so i only have 100MB of data and i'd rather i be able to use all that when i want to instead of using half of it for nothing. I activated the phone today and right now i have almost 2MB used already. I've been on my wifi network the whole time and i haven't even really been touching the phone that much, what is using up all my data? If it continues this way, i'll go through my 100MB without even intentionally using the data myself.

JooK said:
I'm on my wifi network at home and for the most part i'm not even really using my phone. Yet everytime i check, my data usage goes up. I'm not on a data plan so i only have 100MB of data and i'd rather i be able to use all that when i want to instead of using half of it for nothing. I activated the phone today and right now i have almost 2MB used already. I've been on my wifi network the whole time and i haven't even really been touching the phone that much, what is using up all my data? If it continues this way, i'll go through my 100MB without even intentionally using the data myself.

It could be the weather and stock widgets. Do you close apps that you have running in the background.

im not sure which apps are running in the background, but i turned off my cellular data for now, don't want to waste it all.

JooK said:
im not sure which apps are running in the background, but i turned off my cellular data for now, don't want to waste it all.

Double tap the home button and see what's coming up. If anything does jut hold it until it wiggles and tap the - sign

aright, did it and apparently just about all my apps were running lol. Closed them all. This should make my phone run faster as well as preserve the battery life too right?

JooK said:
aright, did it and apparently just about all my apps were running lol. Closed them all. This should make my phone run faster as well as preserve the battery life too right?

Well the phone runs pretty fast even when things are running in the background is your phone going to run faster yes thats wats suppose to happen are you goin to notice the difference most likely no

Saving battery yes well that is wats is said that will happen i personally dont see the difference

Congrats on your new iPhone 4s

I know. I've had this, its normal b/c when you click on check DATA it is using data, that is why it's doing that. I had a thread about this long time ago, was also really upset, but they all like that and nothing you can do about it.

which might be the reason for this terrible battery drainage.

i just read that whole thread and wow this icloud issue is definitely at fault for the battery drainage

Last edited: