What's new

Iphone 4S USB suddenly not recognizable by computer

JudiKO

Reaction score
Laptop and Iphone users, I have a problem which I could not find on the forum. This morning I connected my Iphone 4S to my Windows 8.1 (Lenovo) computer and for the first time ever, I received this warning notice: "USB device not recognized....The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it. " I restarted both the Iphone and the computer but the problem persists. It worked fine yesterday. Any ideas for repairing? Thank you. (never have had this issue)

Laptop and Iphone users, I have a problem which I could not find on the forum. This morning I connected my Iphone 4S to my Windows 8.1 (Lenovo) computer and for the first time ever, I received this warning notice: "USB device not recognized....The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it. " I restarted both the Iphone and the computer but the problem persists. It worked fine yesterday. Any ideas for repairing? Thank you. (never have had this issue)

Well there are a few things you can try:

1. Try using another USB port on your laptop.
2. Try using another cable.
3. Try connecting your phone to another PC.

If you phone works on another PC, then try connecting some other USB device to your laptop and see if it works. If the other device doesn't work on any port then it very likely that your laptop's USB ports have been fried, possibly by static electricity or just from age.

Hopefully it's not that and it's just a driver problem... hope you get it sorted out.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Try what Rasmith said above to test if it's a USB issue. If it's not a USB issue, perform the below.

Connect your device to your computer. Open up Run and type in 'devmgmt.msc' without the quotes. You should get a window with all your devices connected/present. Look for anything that includes Apple in the name with a little yellow triangle with an exclamation point on it. Right click it, and click uninstall driver. If you don't see it immediately, check under Universal Serial Bus Controller (or USB, not sure which one Windows 8.1 utilizes), and again look for the little triangle next to it. Right click and uninstall the driver.

Unplug your device, and perform a cold boot of your computer (hold down the power button until the computer shuts off, do not go to Start > Power Off). Boot your computer up again, and plug in your device. You should get the tone of new hardware being connected and that Windows is looking for a driver. See if that resolves the issue.

If this does not resolve the issue, uninstall iTunes, cold boot, and reinstall iTunes.