What's new

Phone rooted with redsn0w un-roots 5 minutes after root and USB is not recognizable?

kim666

Reaction score
A few days ago, out of nowhere, in the middle of hours of use, my iphone 4 automatically switched back to un-rooted mode without a reset or even a blink, while I was using it.

Now when I try to use redsn0w to root it, it either gets half way through the process then quits out, or reverts to un-rooted 3 minutes after it restarts in rooted mode - both accompanied by an error on my computer that says that the device malfunctioned and the USB cannot be recognized.

My boyfriend's iphone 4 recognizes just fine, so I assume it's an issue with my phone. I've reset all the settings (without doing a factory reset) but this did not solve the problem.

Any help?

Thank you

Welcome to iPhoneForums.

You have to be careful with the terminology because you're using one term but referring to another. iOS rooting, like Android, is the ability to access the root directories or the "C: drive" of the device, which you normally have no access to, and allows you to run unauthorized codes/commands that you normally would not be able to on a stock device.

Jailbreaking is a simulated environment where the ability to run unauthorized codes/commands/mods is active around the clock, meaning it's a whole little world of its own.

What I think you're referring to is Safe Mode. A device will not automatically install an iOS update without your physical interaction. It will download it automatically if not suppressed using a tweak, but will not install unless you say so, much less in the middle of doing something. If you've themed your device, and it suddenly crashes into Safe Mode, your device's statusBar will say "Safe Mode" or "Exit Safe Mode", which you can tap the statusBar on top to exit by clicking on the Restart button on the UI that comes up. If you do not see the Safe Mode or Exit Safe Mode line on the top of your statusBar, then perform a hard reset by holding both your power and home button until you see the Apple logo, then release and it will reboot.

If it is in Safe Mode, or after a hard reset, it's in an unthemed state where your jailbroken tweaks are inactive, then you have an incompatibility with one of the tweaks installed that's either conflicting with hardware, conflicting with the iOS or conflicting with another tweak installed or a dependency for that tweak was not installed or was removed.

It would help to include the iOS that's on the device and what was done/installed prior to this issue occurring.