What's new

iPhone 4S signal strength compared to Nokia E72

d_seng

Reaction score
Hi,

A few days ago I took the dive and moved into the Apple world by buying an iPhone 4S on contract with three (UK). I was already with three so it was just a matter of activating the micro sim.

So far my experience has been far from being delighted, and I am starting to believe that the network signal strength on Nokia's handsets are far superior than those of Apple.

At my desk at work, I used to get a minimum of 4 bars on a Nokia, whereas the iPhone gives me no more than 2. I could happily receive calls on my Nokia even when it was stuffed in my trouser pocket, whereas the iPhone has missed a few calls, being unavailable.

Has anybody had a similar experience? Am I right to assume that the network is not a problem? Any tips?

Cheers,
DSG

i have a 4s on the 3 network,on the whole i get a full signal,coverage can be a little patchy with 3 around the country but i can't see this as being a 4s problem,more a network problem.

Hi,

A few days ago I took the dive and moved into the Apple world by buying an iPhone 4S on contract with three (UK). I was already with three so it was just a matter of activating the micro sim.

So far my experience has been far from being delighted, and I am starting to believe that the network signal strength on Nokia's handsets are far superior than those of Apple.

At my desk at work, I used to get a minimum of 4 bars on a Nokia, whereas the iPhone gives me no more than 2. I could happily receive calls on my Nokia even when it was stuffed in my trouser pocket, whereas the iPhone has missed a few calls, being unavailable.

Has anybody had a similar experience? Am I right to assume that the network is not a problem? Any tips?

Cheers,
DSG
Hi, welcome to the forum! Here are a few helpful links. cv| iPhone tips | iPhone Tips & Tricks | What is jailbreaking? | Thinking of Jailbreaking but are not sure? | iPhone Unlocking Guide for BeginnersiPhoneForums.net Mobile App

I would agree that it appears that it is a phone issue, since you had good luck on the same network with your Nokia. What kind of case are you using? Does the signal degrade with no case? I have an iPhone 4 on the same network as a coworker that has the same phone. She gets a better signal than I do, even having an Otterbox case. Some say that the signal bar icon is not an accurate way to measure your signal though. I recall there being a thread about this a while back... you might to seach for it.

the thing is though that unless you have the two phones in the same place at the same time then comparison with what you used to get on the Nokia isnt really a fair comparison,do you still have the Nokia?

I would agree that it appears that it is a phone issue, since you had good luck on the same network with your Nokia. What kind of case are you using? Does the signal degrade with no case? I have an iPhone 4 on the same network as a coworker that has the same phone. She gets a better signal than I do, even having an Otterbox case. Some say that the signal bar icon is not an accurate way to measure your signal though. I recall there being a thread about this a while back... you might to seach for it.

I use a simple silicone case, but taking it off does not affect the number of bars it shows. I'll look for the thread you mentioned and see if I can get anywhere.

the thing is though that unless you have the two phones in the same place at the same time then comparison with what you used to get on the Nokia isnt really a fair comparison,do you still have the Nokia?

I still have the Nokia, and I have an extra sim from three, which I'll put in it and give it a test. The microsim doesn't use a different frequency by any chance, does it?

im not too sure about your last question on the frequencies but I'm sure someone will enlighten us,it will be interesting to see what results you get side by side.

Yeah you right in case of network signal strength on Nokia's handsets are far superior than those of Apple. But for the test of comparison you can use both Nokia and iPhone at the same time, if you have Nokia still. Then things will be clear.

Tested at home:

Three sim on Nokia E72: 6 out of 6 bars
Three sim on iPhone 4S: 4 out of 5 bars

Darn!