What's new

iPhone 4S restore problems

caunyd

Reaction score
I am an iPhone rookie, so I have come to seek your advice. This is my best recollection of what happened. I have an Iphone 4S that was jailbroken. I tried to restore it using iTunes, but was unable to. From that point, the 4S would not turn on. It would just flash the Apple logo, and I believe it would only flash the logo if it was plugged in. Subsequently, I have put the phone into Recovery and DFU mode, and tried to use Redsnow and TinyUmbrella. Nothing has worked. I get various errors when trying to restore with iTunes. Depending on what I've done with Redsnow or TinyUmbrella, I have gotten error 21, 1600, 3194. I looked up the solutions to these errors but even so I have not been able to get my phone to be functional again. Also, when I use Redsnow and try to put the 4S into DFU mode, there is a message that says that "Sorry, that isn't supported yet on the iPhone 4S." I have a PC and the version that was on the phone when I jailbroke it was 5.0.1

What can I do to make my phone work again? I am a complete novice about this stuff. I don't really know how to use Redsnow or TinyUmbrella, so if you can give me step by step instructions, that would be wonderful. Thanks in advance!

1600 is a driver issue. Uninstall your USB port drivers and rebooting will fix it. Alternatively, if that doesn't work, you'll need to use another computer to restore it. 3194 has 2 possible problems, 1 is that the IPSW does not match the device, meaning you're using a GSM IPSW on a CDMA phone, or vise versa, secondly, it's a host error, where you'll have to delete any gs.apple.com lines from your host file and delete the host.umbrella file in the same directory as well. Make sure iTunes is closed and the process ended when doing this. Then flush your DNS and retry.

You're also running the older version of RedSn0w. You can download the latest version of RedSn0w below

OSX: https://sites.google.com/a/iphone-dev.com/files/home/redsn0w_mac_0.9.15b3.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

Windows: https://sites.google.com/a/iphone-dev.com/files/home/redsn0w_win_0.9.15b3.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

Just to update you guys and to help anyone else with the same problem. Various people have told me different things such as water/hardware damage, USB connection problems, software conflicts, etc. I finally took the phone to the Apple store, and the Genius bar person just re-seated the battery and things began working again.

Now I have a different problem, but I think that belongs in a different thread.

Thanks for all of your help guys.