What's new

iPhone 4S performance is closer to iPad 2 than iPhone 4

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
iphone-4sbenchmark.png

GeekBench have already listed the benchmarks for the new iPhone 4S and it places higher than any other iPhone previously released, and closer to the iPad2. According to the listed specs of a dual core processor, results resemble those coming from the iPad 2, especially since they share the A5 processor. With an assumed 512 MB RAM, benchmarks place the new iPhone at the top of the list.

GeekBench provided a score of 622, which is slightly under the 749 scored by the iPad 2 and well above the 370 iPhone 4 managed. Thus, the new iPhone is 68% faster than the previous phone and only 17% slower than the iPad 2. Taking into consideration that the A5 processor in the new iPhone 4S is likely underclocked, due to battery life concerns, the results are easily explained.

The phone will include a voice activated personal assistant under the name of Siri, which will enable users to make appointments, write calendar entries or search the internet, on top of the usual call making duties; better graphics performance (which has already been confirmed to be 7 times faster than those in iPhone 4) and better antenna reception. As a new feature, the iPhone 4S will be usable in both GSM and CDMA networks, which hasn’t happened before.

Although the differences between what a phone can do and the other can’t are quite noticeable, the design looks pretty much the same, with the difference that 4S is slightly smaller, feature which has distanced some customers who enjoy the bragging rights more than the device itself. The iPhone 4S will be available for customers around the world starting tomorrow October 14th.

By Radu Tyrsina
Source: macrumors

The iPhone 4s is slightly smaller? I thought the dimensions were the same as the iPhone 4. I was hoping all my old cases would still work.

Sent from my iPhone 4 direct to you

Now here is the real kicker for this situation. Apple can release an OTA (over the air) patch that can clock the 4S from 800 Mhz to 1Ghz. Which would allow them to stay ahead of at least another 6 months, possibly even a year, of Android phones.

Something to think about.