What's new

iPhone 4 STUCK IN RECOVERY LOOP ERROR 9

tortelliniguy

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to fix this problem? I have tried different computer, different usb cords, using a usb hub, editing hosts, reinstalling iTunes, TU fix recovery, and booting tethered. Any help will be appreciated because I don't have a working phone right now. Help me.. I have an iPhone 4 gsm. no warranty left either.

What iOS are you on, were you jailbroken, are you trying to restore to 5.0.1 or just 5.1?

How did you get into this mess? What were you doing that caused it?

Details details details. You didnt come close to giving me enough of them.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I was updating from iOS 5.0.1 untethered and any firmware I can get my phone to work on would help. Better than not having a phone. All I did was pressed update on iTunes and it was about halfway through the process and then it shut off and now it won't boot back to the springboard. It just goes to the iTunes and usb screen. Nothing else is on the screen. No slide to unlock or anything.

tortelliniguy said:
I was updating from iOS 5.0.1 untethered and any firmware I can get my phone to work on would help. Better than not having a phone. All I did was pressed update on iTunes and it was about halfway through the process and then it shut off and now it won't boot back to the springboard. It just goes to the iTunes and usb screen. Nothing else is on the screen. No slide to unlock or anything.

This is because you were jailbroken and you just clicked the update button.

When you are jailbroken you must enter DFU mode before restoring. Otherwise it just gets stuck in a recover loop.

If you still want 5.1, then download the iOS 5.1 IPSW for your device model.
Save it to your desktop.

Enter DFU mode.

Open items, click okay, then simultaneously press down the shift key on your keyboard and click the restore button. Now click on Desktop in the pop up window and double click on the 5.1 IPSW. It will work now.

I honestly don't know why you would update to 5.1 if you want to jailbreak. Why not just restore to a custom 5.0.1 IPSW?

But any way, if you want to update to 5.1, you have to enter DFU mode if the device was jailbroken.

You don't have to download the IPSW, but it is way faster to to just download it, and shift+restore to the IPSW then let iTunes download it.

PS: if you changed your host file then your need to change it back immediately or it will never work.

Under no circumstances do you need to modify the host file (that was the iOS 4.x days and is not needed any more....ever). That points it to Sauriks servers. That is completely pointless if your restoring to the latest iOS.

I went into dfu mode and tried to restore with stock 5.1 but nothing new happened. it went to the restore screen but failed and went back into recovery mode. in iTunes it goes to verifying restore with apple and then it says error 9. still stuck on iTunes logo.

Then i would make a custom IPSW with ifaith for 5.0.1 with your 5.0.1 SHSH blobs downloaded from Tiny Umbrella. restore to that signed 5.0.1 IPSw, then update to 5.1 from there.

OOOR

You could just build a custom 5.1 IPSW with sn0wbreeze v2.9.3 (If you don't want the jailbreak just choose "Baseband Preservation Mode"

Enter PWNED DFU mode and shift+restore to that custom IPSW

You did make sure that your host file was changed back to normal right?

My hosts file is back to normal.

I created the baseband preservation ipsw but it still gave me the same error when i tried to restore it.

i don't have my shsh blobs saved for anything either. i was too late apparently.

still stuck at error 9 no fix yet.

tortelliniguy said:
My hosts file is back to normal.

I created the baseband preservation ipsw but it still gave me the same error when i tried to restore it.

i don't have my shsh blobs saved for anything either. i was too late apparently.

still stuck at error 9 no fix yet.

And you Used 5.1 IPSW for your device model right?

yeah. I'm leaving it unplugged for the whole day. Going to try to run the battery out and see if that does anything.

okay. so the battery won't even die because my iPhone just keeps turning off automatically. I noticed that every time i try to run recovery fixes or boot tether a kernel panic occurs or something like that. it just goes down really fast with a bunch of text i can't read and then it shuts off. Not sure what to do with this iPhone. Should i just throw it away or is there any fix for this?

okay. so the battery won't even die because my iPhone just keeps turning off automatically. I noticed that every time i try to run recovery fixes or boot tether a kernel panic occurs or something like that. it just goes down really fast with a bunch of text i can't read and then it shuts off. Not sure what to do with this iPhone. Should i just throw it away or is there any fix for this?

Really sounds like a hardware problem.

So I looked around the internet all night long at downgrading from iOS 5.1 to 4.x.x and lower and I found a recent tutorial that gave me directions. I decided to download all the past firmwares for my iPhone and see if any of them would work. I downgraded to iOS 4.0 but it would never fully downgrade. Kept getting error 1004 about 2/3 of the way to restore bar on the iPhone. I did this by downloading tiny umbrella and running the TSS server. Apparently I had my shsh saved for 4.0 according to the cydia server. SHSH really help. If you don't have them you're screwed pretty much. So after I tried the restore multiple time it just coming back with the same error 1004. I read online that it means the software was installed but the baseband was not being allowed. because the baseband on 4.0 is 1.59.00 or something like that. Finally after I got tired of trying the same thing, I decided to update to iOS 5.1 again. I used a custom ipsw that was created on sn0wbreeze. Preserve baseband. Thanks for making me create that Zig9449. Saved me a lot of time. For some reason it decided to allow me to restore it to iOS 5.1, but only because I was on a lower firmware. Well now I have a working phone again. Syncing it now.

tortelliniguy said:
So I looked around the internet all night long at downgrading from iOS 5.1 to 4.x.x and lower and I found a recent tutorial that gave me directions. I decided to download all the past firmwares for my iPhone and see if any of them would work. I downgraded to iOS 4.0 but it would never fully downgrade. Kept getting error 1004 about 2/3 of the way to restore bar on the iPhone. I did this by downloading tiny umbrella and running the TSS server. Apparently I had my shsh saved for 4.0 according to the cydia server. SHSH really help. If you don't have them you're screwed pretty much. So after I tried the restore multiple time it just coming back with the same error 1004. I read online that it means the software was installed but the baseband was not being allowed. because the baseband on 4.0 is 1.59.00 or something like that. Finally after I got tired of trying the same thing, I decided to update to iOS 5.1 again. I used a custom ipsw that was created on sn0wbreeze. Preserve baseband. Thanks for making me create that Zig9449. Saved me a lot of time. For some reason it decided to allow me to restore it to iOS 5.1, but only because I was on a lower firmware. Well now I have a working phone again. Syncing it now.

Your welcome.

My only issue is when I'm syncing if I start to use my iPhone when it's syncing, the screen gets a bunch of red bars across and becomes faded then reboots. Not sure why this is happening but it only happens when I use my phone when it's syncing. Any suggestions on why this is happening? I just boot tethered after every time and it works fine. Im jailbroken semi-tethered on iOS 5.1. and thanks!! zig 9449

tortelliniguy said:
My only issue is when I'm syncing if I start to use my iPhone when it's syncing, the screen gets a bunch of red bars across and becomes faded then reboots. Not sure why this is happening but it only happens when I use my phone when it's syncing. Any suggestions on why this is happening? I just boot tethered after every time and it works fine. Im jailbroken semi-tethered on iOS 5.1. and thanks!! zig 9449

I honestly have. O idea why that could be. I would just nut use your phone while it syncing. I never do....even tho I can, I still feel the phone should be left alone while syncing for obvious reasons.
But then again.....I never sync my phone....and I don't see why anyone else would either.

I sync my iPhone one time after every restore. That is to put music and tones on it. After that there is absolutely no reason I would have to sync my iPhone with iTunes again. there is just no reason........

And before a restore I transfer my purchase....but that all my phone comes to connecting to iTunes.

Why are you syncing again?