What's new

iPhone 4 Spotlight search not working

benb

Reaction score
Jailbroken iPhone 4 running iOS 4.1.
No recent installs or updates prior to noticing this problem. About a week ago my spotlight search feature stopped working. I can still hit the home button twice and get to the search screen, I can enter text but the auto-lookup doesn’t work and when I key in an entire word and hit search, no results are displayed.

I can find no real information about this problem via google, so hoping someone here may have experienced the issue or have a reason as to why this happened and a possible solution to resolve spotlight search problem on my iphone 4. I kinda expect that the issue will be fixed with the eventual update to iOS 4.2.1 , but I really use that feature a lot and would like to resolve it before. Any help greatly appreciated !!

Welcome.
Go into "Settings > General > Spotlight Search" and tap the type of things that you want to have Searchlight search for. ie. Contacts, Music, Applications..... Sometimes they get un-checked for some reason. The items to search will have a check next to them if they are enabled. Hope this helps.

pocobear,
I've been there and verified that the correct options are checked, calendar, messages, contacts, etc. I've tried un-checking and rebooting, and then re-checking options and still the search doesn't work. Any other ideas?

I see your jailbroken, have you installed any apps lately that might effect the search function. You might want to un-install one app at a time until it's fixed. Go to Cydia and read about each app and how it works, this might help to find the culprit. Must be a conflict somewhere between apps. Also if you are installing cracked apps, bad things can happen. Don't do that.

I have the same problem and after some research I found out that the problem is related to the e-mail program.
If you use spotlight when the mail program is opened or you exclude de mail program from spotlight list, then spotlight works perfectly but when you close it the SL stop working.