What's new

iPhone 4 muting calls?!?!

schiesserrr

Reaction score
I recently dropped my iPhone 4 and the screen cracked. Everything still works fine except for when I dial or receive calls the person on the other end of the call cannot hear me. I can still hear them however. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have no idea, the crack does run along where the mute button is. Is that even possible though?

I have no idea, the crack does run along where the mute button is. Is that even possible though?

No thats not possible. The mute is a software button that gets reset after every phone call. However, it is possible that when you dropped it, it might have messed up the mic inside the phone. Try this test, use your voice memo app and see if theres any problem with the mic that way. If not then your mic is fine but something is still fishy

I did the text and the voice worked. I ordered a new digitizer already. Any hopes that this will fix the issue?

I did the text and the voice worked. I ordered a new digitizer already. Any hopes that this will fix the issue?

I highly doubt it. The digitizer has nothing to do with the mic or any sound hardware. Sorry. Least youll have a pretty new screen. Also, when you say digitizer, you mean the whole assembly right? Including the lcd? Cuz the lcd and digitizer are glued together but ppl do sell just the digitizer. And if you do try to replace just the glass, not only is it very difficult, but it usually isnt the same ever again, in my experience.

I'm aware of the digitizer and lcd rule. Is there any way to properly test the phone to see what the problem actually is?

I'm aware of the digitizer and lcd rule. Is there any way to properly test the phone to see what the problem actually is?

You mean as far as the mic? Im not entirely sure besides the previously mentioned voice memo app. Any other time i would say its only the mic but since its an iphone 4, theres now the issue of the second mic possibly interfering so its hard to tell what the main problem is. Since you said the mic works fine when testing the voice memo app, a good question is, does the voice memo app use the second "noise cancelling" mic? If it doesnt, thats the difference between you hearing your voice on that app and not during phone calls.

If it is the "noise cancelling" mic how do I fix it?

I think i remember the noise cancelation mic being eady to replace from this teardown video i saw. You might want to watch a video to see if its easy. Also. I wouldnt want you to waste money on that unless u were really sure thats the prob so make sure youre absolutely sure thats what it is

Ok, I found everything. Do you have any idea where I can buy a replacement mic?