What's new

iPhone 4 keeps losing power at 20%

jake.palmer99

Reaction score
Over the last few days, every time my iPhone 4 gets down to around 20%, usually just above, it suddenly closes the application I'm on, flashes that it's at 1% battery and turns off. I then put it on charge and starts at 20% again. It's happened 3 times in the last two days, I've tried a soft reset and I've charged it up to 100% every time. It's the first real problem I've had with my phone after 6 months of having it. Any suggestions would be helpful?

Only suggestion I can think of is to do a full backup thru iTunes and then a full restore. Make sure you do this when the phone is at 100% charge. Hopefully that will reset the battery stats collection and allow the phone to properly recalibrate.

Just curious, Jake... does the battery indicator hover around the 20% range for a long time (relatively) or does the rate of discharge seem fairly linear?

Fairly linear, but it stays on 100 for quite a long time, I rang up apple today though and I've got an appointment on Monday to get a free replacement phone, the guy i spoke to said that it wasn't something that he had encountered before

Yeah, really. The batt indicator should NOT hover at 100% for a long time. Perhaps it's just a bad battery that Apple can replace..... Let us know.

I've been having the same problem with my iPhone 4....it will get to about 23 or so percent and then it shuts down...when I try to start it up it shows 1% then when I plug in the cord it show the same 20 some odd %..... This has just recently started to do this. Bad thing is I don't live near any Apple Store and would have to at least drive a 2 1/2 hr trek but would rather do that then get a replacement from Verizon since I'd get a refurbed one.

One thing I was wondering, I have Battery Doctor app which I hardly use but have used it...I wonder if this could be a culprit. Or probably just the battery????