What's new

iPhone 4, iOS5 = signal problems?

insigniades

Reaction score
Hi guys

First of all, thanks for reading this and anybody who can give some input I really appreciate your time.

I purchased an iPhone 4 - brand new from eBay, its a new phone provided by apple to replace an old phone - still under warranty etc...

I upgraded to iOS5 on the day I received it and now I get nothing but dropped calls ("call failed"), I'm lucky if a phone call lasts 1 or 2 minutes before getting cut off.

Is anybody else having this issue or does it sound new?

Much appreciated

Let me guess you are holding it left handed and you don't have a case on it?

No, well aware of the death grip.

It also happens on speakerphone sat on a table so definitely not related to the antenna flaw in the iPhone 4

If this is a Verizon iPhone then you need to dial *228 and press 2 when the voice starts talking.

If this is a AT&T iPhone, I have no advice for that network. Sorry.

Unfortunately I'm on TMob in the UK but support round here is useless hence coming on here for assistance, it's getting pretty frustrating!

Do you have anything remotely like a "Preferred Roaming List" or "Preferred Cell Tower List"? Because usually on our Verizon CDMA phones with have to keep it updated with which towers need what information so we can use them properly. Hopefully it is something that simple for you.

Hi Skull One

Thanks for trying to assist me.

The phone will be GSM not CDMA and not really heard of PRL to be honest so I don't think that could cause the issue... :(

Yeah. GSM phones don't have PRLs. Wish I knew more about GSM to help. Sorry.

I've been having the same problem (after I updated to ios 5). Are you connected to a wifi network when you are making your call? I have noticed recently that if I turn off wifi when making a call, the calls can last as long as they used to (before iOS 5). I know that it is not my home wifi network because the dropped calls happened on several wifi networks in several cities in the US.

I have an AT&T iPhone 4.

Last edited:
I had the same problem, but I am with Verizon and of course its CDMA. But apple had to replace my phone. And I still have problems so if anyone knows a fix let me know. but they are supposed to be working on this issue on Verizon side and apples standpoint on the issue. Right now I'm requesting a signal booster to see if it is just a carrier issue. I used to work for T-mobile and that was a common issue on a unlocked iphones. It had to do with the way it was unlocked. Also you may want to get a new sim card that may work. Keep me posted and PM me if you have any T-Mobile questions. Thanks