What's new

Iphone 4 erratic behavior

bharrison

Reaction score
Hello I have just registered on this forum to post the problem as i cant find it any where.

My Iphone 4 (3 weeks old) was working fine but ever since i either updated it or installed a new app it has been acting strange.

Sometimes when the keylock is on and i swipe my finger to unlock it the bar wont slide along it could take about 5 attempts before it does eventually unlock or I have to push the round button several times then swipe my finger.

The other thing it does is when I am texting i push a button but it pushs several letters around it or even when i am not touching anything it starts putting spaces and full stops in when I am nowhere near those buttons.

Also on the menu after coming out of an app the phone starts clicking apps itself as if i were pressing them myself like a ghost.

This is starting to piss me right off especially the texting.

I have restored to factory settings and reinstalled it back the way it is now through itunes but it seemed to work for a day or so but now it is doing the same again.

I think it seems to be the roughly the same area of the screen that it effects where the email icon is as this is where it gets stuck on the unlock screen. 3 times it opened my email itself then i close it and it opens again.

Has anyone else had any of these problems and do they know a fix.

Thanks

I am hoping some of these little bugs get fixed in the next update. I have noticed the texting problem as well. When it stops just give it a few seconds and it works fine. If your impatient and tap the screen a bunch that's when it "ghost" types. I would suggest reboot your phone once a day and if it seems to hang for just a second... Just count to 5 and try again. Hope that helps!

Just had to register to let you know, i had the same problem with the screen not responding when swiping and mail icon so I rang apple and they are sending me a new phone.

Just had to register to let you know, i had the same problem with the screen not responding when swiping and mail icon so I rang apple and they are sending me a new phone.

I had a dead line in the touch sensor on my brand new 3GS so yes if it's not responding in a specific spot.. Be sure and call or get an exchange.

I phoned apple yesterday they said try reseting it to factory settings which I have done but I am still having the problem. I am booked in for an appointment tomorrow morning. I will let you know what they say. Thanks everyone for replying

I have been into apple and the phone worked perfectly. They said it must be a software issue as it would do this all the time if it was hardware. They reset my phone for me and said to just sync my pictures etc... dont restore. I put each sort of item back on one by one music then pictures then apps and my phone started to do it again. I took the apps back off and and tested it worked fine. I put the free apps back on and left my bought apps off. I put them on one by one and found that it was gamebox 35 in 1 game that was messing my phone up as it has worked fine since and this is the only thing i have not put back on my phone. I did notice when I was trying to play the app it would crash or some of the games wouldnt start.

Hope this helps someone.

disregard my last post the phone is not fixed it is still doing the exact same thing as before even without the app on. Back to apple again when i get a chance

I feel for you. Hope this is just a faulty unit and not something we all need to cope with.

I have been back to apple they have replaced my phone and said it had an over sensitive area on the screen. The new one is working great. Thanks apple

I have been back to apple they have replaced my phone and said it had an over sensitive area on the screen. The new one is working great. Thanks apple
Ah, yes! That's nice, I'm happy for you. Its also nice to hear that Apple take care of their customers.

I joined just to explain my issue which is relative to the issues you guys are all having. My issue is a bit different though. I originally had issues with my invisishield i purchased from BestBuy and paid to have them apply it so i wouldnt screw anything up.

I had problems with texts keeping up and missing letters due to what i thought was the thickness of the invisishield. I have since removed the invisishield and replaced it with a thin cheap one and have seen slight improvement.

The new issue i noticed the last two nights and have now decided that this is my main problem.

At night i plug my phone in by my bed to charge overnight...pretty standard stuff. Once plugged in though, i am getting basically no charge. I plugged it in no later than 7 pm the other night and by 6 am the following morning my phone wasnt even to 100% charge, it was close at a 98% instead. So i knew i was having charging issues, but then last night i noticed the same issue but not as bad plus a touch screen issue.

When i go to text ill tap one conversation and itll go to another one as well as open it and go to the edit function on the txt msg. I try to back out and it thinks im touching somewhere else again. I finally get to type and it then enters about 7 letters/numbers for every one letter i actually touch.

Basically the phone is acting crazy and i wanted to see if anyone else noticed only while charging though a wall outlet. When at work through my PC (yes, no mac...im ashamed) it charges slower than normal but nothing out of the ordinary from my past experiences with 3G 3GS and 4G.

Anyone else noticing these type issues...calling apple today and going to be told to restore im sure which ive done and so im sure ill be getting a new one in the mail or swapping at the local, not so local, apple store.

Good luck!

FYI, when i unplug the phone from the wall while its acting funny, it then goes back to working normally.

Last edited:
I joined just to explain my issue which is relative to the issues you guys are all having. My issue is a bit different though. I originally had issues with my invisishield i purchased from BestBuy and paid to have them apply it so i wouldnt screw anything up.

I had problems with texts keeping up and missing letters due to what i thought was the thickness of the invisishield. I have since removed the invisishield and replaced it with a thin cheap one and have seen slight improvement.

The new issue i noticed the last two nights and have now decided that this is my main problem.

At night i plug my phone in by my bed to charge overnight...pretty standard stuff. Once plugged in though, i am getting basically no charge. I plugged it in no later than 7 pm the other night and by 6 am the following morning my phone wasnt even to 100% charge, it was close at a 98% instead. So i knew i was having charging issues, but then last night i noticed the same issue but not as bad plus a touch screen issue.

When i go to text ill tap one conversation and itll go to another one as well as open it and go to the edit function on the txt msg. I try to back out and it thinks im touching somewhere else again. I finally get to type and it then enters about 7 letters/numbers for every one letter i actually touch.

Basically the phone is acting crazy and i wanted to see if anyone else noticed only while charging though a wall outlet. When at work through my PC (yes, no mac...im ashamed) it charges slower than normal but nothing out of the ordinary from my past experiences with 3G 3GS and 4G.

Anyone else noticing these type issues...calling apple today and going to be told to restore im sure which ive done and so im sure ill be getting a new one in the mail or swapping at the local, not so local, apple store.

Good luck!

FYI, when i unplug the phone from the wall while its acting funny, it then goes back to working normally.

I would defiantly take it to an apple store and explain the issues. Sounds like you have more than one.....

Good luck!

Take it to apple store they sound similar problems to mine. Dont phone the apple helpline from your mobile as i am with o2 and 0845 numbers cost a fortune the call cost me about £6 i think. The first time you go they will most likely reset the phone then send you home. If I was you before going to the apple store backup your phone then wipe everything off of it so it is back to factory settings and see if the problems are still happening. at least when you go to apple they hopefully wont just reset it as it will already be reset. When you get to the shop book in and while you wait to be seen (about 15 min for me) keep trying to get your phone to do the texting problem and get someone in the shop to witness it. The first time I went my phone worked perfectly but the second time i managed to get it to do it again so they replaced it straight away.

To test if it is the same problem when the texting issue is happening run your finger around the screen without touching it(hover your finger over the screen) as mine would push letters with out me touching the screen. They said it had an over sensitive patch on the screen and everytime i went near it it would push different buttons. My phone pushed buttons on all screens not just texting like on the main screen it would push the email buton mainly or the one above it it would also select the wrong conversation when you push a different one (fucking annoying) as you explained.

I have no idea about the charging issue you could just try a new wire see if that works. Do you leave blue tooth and wifi on in the house all the time as this will run your battery down very quick but i cant see why when on charge it would not fully charge.

Hope this helps