What's new

iphone 4 camera won't start up!!!

simbeane

Reaction score
My iphone 4's camera freeze at the virtual shutter until it reset by itself. This is so frustrating. I don't know if this is a software or a hardware issue. Has anyone experienced this problem or not? I have tried resetting the iphone and restore it, it will work normally but then it freeze again.
This problem happens randomly, I don't know if it will happen in the future, should I bring it to Apple genius bar to let them check my phone? Im afraid when I bring the phone in, the phone would not show up the problem.
Can you guys tell me if this is a software or hardware issue?
thanks to much

If you can reproduce it, then Apple should be able to.

Now if on the other hand this is a jailbroken iPhone, then I can understand why you want to avoid Apple.

Odds are it is a software issue if you are not jailbroken. Do a full backup. Then do a full wipe and reset of the phone. Do NOT restore it. Test the camera out. If the issue clears, then do the restore. If the problem returns you know it is in your data. At that point you either start over or take it to Apple.

If you can reproduce it, then Apple should be able to.

Now if on the other hand this is a jailbroken iPhone, then I can understand why you want to avoid Apple.

Odds are it is a software issue if you are not jailbroken. Do a full backup. Then do a full wipe and reset of the phone. Do NOT restore it. Test the camera out. If the issue clears, then do the restore. If the problem returns you know it is in your data. At that point you either start over or take it to Apple.

thanks for reply, I have not jailbroken my phone, I updated to the latest fw (4.3.5), the phone's camera did not work yesterday but now it works. I'm not sure if that problem will happen again in the future because my warranty is ending in December.
I have been searching on the internet, most people said it is because of the old data and they suggest not to restore from old data, is that true? Do you think that will solve the camera problem?

That is exactly what my post said. Probably old data. But since you warranty is over 60 days from expiring, just use the camera every day for the next two weeks or so. If it doesn't fail, you are fine. If it does, do a wipe. If it still fails after that, go to Apple.