What's new

Iphone 3gs unlock and upgrade

Janealams

Reaction score
I currently have 3gs on firmware 3.1.2 and I use blackra1n to jailbreak it which i believe is a tethered jailbreak and I have to jailbreak it at every restart.

I'm not really good at iphone unlock and jailbreak. Can anyone please guide me how can I unlock and upgrade my phone. All I want is to be able to use the new operating system which is the 4 series and get rid of this pain to jailbreak at every restart.

You can preserve your baseband using snowbreeze to create a custom ipsw. You can then update to that custom ipsw via iTunes. Once updated to 4.3.3 you can jailbreak using redsnow and reinstall ultrasnow...

Thanks for your reply mate. How do I create custom ipsw and whats my baseband? Sorry as i mentioned earlier I dont know much about these things?

Download snowbreeze and choose the preserve baseband option. You will need the original ipsw file to create your custom one. It may already be on your computer in a hidden folder. You will first need to 'unhide' hidden folders. This can be done via the folder options in the control panel of windows computers. I'm unsure about Mac's. It will be named iPhone2,1_4.3.3_8J2_Restore.ipsw

On Windows XP :
Documents and Settings\<User>\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates

On Windows Vista/Windows 7:
Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates

On Mac:
~/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates

If the file is not there or you can't be bothered with all that hidden folders business then here's the direct download link for you.

iPhone2,1_4.3.3_8J2_Restore.ipsw

You can find out your current baseband by going to Settings > General > About > Modem Firmware on your phone.

Once you've got that use snowbreeze to change (preserve the baseband) of it. Once thats done open iTunes and back up your phone. Then hold shift on your keyboard while clicking on restore. You will be prompted to show itunes a firmware file. Show it the one you've just modified with snowbreeze and itunes will do the rest.

Once the phone is back up and running you can jailbreak it again with redsnow then unlock with ultrasnow...

I'm not sure where to ask this guy, so if wrong place don't get pissed...I have a 3GS that just stopped workin iOS (4.0.1) no restore or upgrade working. I can't send it to apple cause I live in another country and the price for shipping is killer.
Took off iTunes and every software for it. Putting the phone in DFU mode shows only the activation screen and it goes back when I try to restore.

PLEASE help!!!!!

Thanks gaz6076 that was very helpful, much appreciated. One last thing my phone is not factory unlocked I mean I have a teethered jailbroken phone will that be any problem?

Thanks gaz6076 that was very helpful, much appreciated. One last thing my phone is not factory unlocked I mean I have a teethered jailbroken phone will that be any problem?

it's doesn't matter if your phone is factory locked or unlocked, your can still untether jailbreak your phone.

Download snowbreeze and choose the preserve baseband option. You will need the original ipsw file to create your custom one. It may already be on your computer in a hidden folder. You will first need to 'unhide' hidden folders. This can be done via the folder options in the control panel of windows computers. I'm unsure about Mac's. It will be named iPhone2,1_4.3.3_8J2_Restore.ipsw

On Windows XP :
Documents and Settings\<User>\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates

On Windows Vista/Windows 7:
Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates

On Mac:
~/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates

If the file is not there or you can't be bothered with all that hidden folders business then here's the direct download link for you.

iPhone2,1_4.3.3_8J2_Restore.ipsw

You can find out your current baseband by going to Settings > General > About > Modem Firmware on your phone.

Once you've got that use snowbreeze to change (preserve the baseband) of it. Once thats done open iTunes and back up your phone. Then hold shift on your keyboard while clicking on restore. You will be prompted to show itunes a firmware file. Show it the one you've just modified with snowbreeze and itunes will do the rest.

Once the phone is back up and running you can jailbreak it again with redsnow then unlock with ultrasnow...

I tired exactly the same procedure and when i hit restore on itunes and showed it the file snowbreeze created it gave me error 21 and now my phone is stuck with the apple logo. Please help

I jailbreaked it again using blackra1n the old software that I have and tried to restore again but its still giving me same error 21. Do you know whats wrong?

Sorry I forgot to say you need to put your phone in DFU mode before you hold the shift key and click restore. Snowbreeze should tell you to do it...

Sorry I forgot to say you need to put your phone in DFU mode before you hold the shift key and click restore. Snowbreeze should tell you to do it...

I just put my phone in DFU mode but the problem is when i launch itunes it doesnt show my iphone anymore

Thanks mate its working now. I'll let you know once I'm done with it.

Last edited:

Thanks man you're a star. I have updated to new version and unlocked and its working perfectly fine. Now all I have to do is connect to itunes and restore backup?

Your welcome,

Just plug your phone into iTunes, right click it and choose restore from backup...