What's new

iPhone 3GS Random Restart

Temp3007G

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have an iPhone 3GS that keeps restarting itself, I've changed the battery 3 times, used ones though, but they worked in other phones. Its due for a software update, but I have been worried about updating it because I don't want it to restart during the update process. Anyone else have this issue?

Which iOS are you on right now? See if you see a "panic.plist" with the dates of when it crashes under the Diagnostics & Usage in Settings.

willerz2 said:
Which iOS are you on right now? See if you see a "panic.plist" with the dates of when it crashes under the Diagnostics & Usage in Settings.

I'm not sure what iOS it was running before, but I updated it today to iOS6 in hopes that it would solve the issue, it helped, but still does it. I did find a list of about a hundred or more panic.plist, the most recent is 2012-11-20-2334429.panic.plist

If there aren't any panic.plist, most likely it's a hardware issue. Panic.plist will pop up for both hardware and software issues, but often times it's present for software issues rather than hardware issues. You might want to thoroughly go through the board to see if anything is loose.