What's new

Iphone 3GS with ios5 shutting down randomly

macgib

Reaction score
hi,

I have an iphone 3GS onto which I recently installed the ios5 update. Since then, the phone has been shutting down randomly. the battery indicator says there is plenty of power left. the problem does not appear to happen when I have the phone plugged in. Have any of you had similar problems? Not sure if it's a memory fault or a battery fault or something else.

Cheers.

I had same problem since iOS 4.3.X or something like that.

When I use the Camera/Video, it shuts down.
When I use the Map, it shuts down.
when I use the Messages, it shuts down.

I restore the iOS 5 about 5 times and the problem continues.

*I bought this iPhone 3GS at the June 30, 2009 at Costco Burnaby, BC which I believe it's the first generation of 3GS iPhone.
This may be the problem.

I've been shooting my kids photo/video with iPhone 3GS but for last 3-4-5 months, I haven't been able to shoot the vidoe and it's really frustrating!!!

Now my iPhone is really useless but I have the 3 year contract...
what can I do???

Is there any way to put back an old iOS that is stable on 3GS?
please help me!

Macgib I have the exact same issue that you described. I have done several hard restarts on my 3gs to no avail. I have also noticed that my battery will stay at 100% for quite some time and then it will shut it self off at 25% and never warning me that my battery is low. The only other thing I can think to do is wipe the phone as if it was new and start fresh?

macgib said:
hi,

I have an iphone 3GS onto which I recently installed the ios5 update. Since then, the phone has been shutting down randomly. the battery indicator says there is plenty of power left. the problem does not appear to happen when I have the phone plugged in. Have any of you had similar problems? Not sure if it's a memory fault or a battery fault or something else.

Cheers.

Me too. I think the problem is in the iOS 5, which may be exceeding the 3GS abilities. But the guys at apple should do something. Or they think z they can force us to get an upgrade ?