What's new

Iphone 3gs or 3g? Cant tell, but having issues restoring, keep getting error codes

Hermon

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently got a iphone i beleive 3gs from my neighbor that was his sons and we are trading because my phone has minor damage to the screen and his son just wants to use it to tether interent. Well i am trying to restore it and i keep getting error code (-1) saying an error occurred and the iphone could not be restored. Also another error im getting is error 3194, an unknown error occurred. I have tried so many fixes as far as adding the host addresses in and also downloading manually the ispw for the ios5, ios 4.3, and still get the error codes. I also tried besides manually pointing to it letting itunes just pull in the update but it will give me the error (-1) code and when i manually pointed i get that 3194 error code. Its stuck in recoverey mode and just comes back to the itunes and usb screen every time i try this. Ive been thru so many forums and tried so many things and he said its a 3gs and i cant tell really if it is or isnt because i cant get inside the phone and it looks brand new and like my 3g i currently have. BUt i did just recently find that the a1303 is the 3gs version of the iphone. I just cant get this thing to restore so i can swap all my info to it and give his son my old one. Ive jail broken phones before and had them get stuck in recovery but was able to get them out. In my knowledge this phone has not been jailbroken which i do intend to once i get it up and running. Does anyone know of a fix that will def work or custom firmware that will def fix it or any thing i can do to fix this. Im a computer tech and im really savy so just need some pointers that are helpful besides what i find in google. Im trying to save myself money from going to 10,000 cell phones and seeing if they can fix it but if i dont get this done by this weekend im just going to take it to them and see if they can get me setup. But any help would be greately appreciated. I will give more detail if i havent given enough but im being pretty specific here. Thank you in advance for any help or replies to this thread. -Hermon

I get this error when I update firmware too. My fix was to turn off all anti virus and firewalls on my computer then everything went through smoothly.

Hope this helps you too.

Cheers
:)

i tried the firewall thing but keep getting the "error code 1" any other options?

Have you got the latest version of iTunes?

Also, I read this some where but don't know if it helps:

"search recboot and download it. connect iPhone. press exit recovery mode. Right when iPhone screen turns off unplug. Now you have a regular iPhone hopefully!"

Ok after further research on why this phone isn't allowing me to do this i've come to the conclusion that the phone has been bricked is the issue and has to be unbricked before it can be restored correctly. How i came across this phone was from my neighbor who has a couple iphones already besides the one he is trading me which is this one. He told me someone tried to break and enter his house and he called the cops which came out and they found the guy hiding in his garage. Well the next day he found the phone apparently that the guy had left behind on the ground so im guessing the guy who was a thief (dummy) left his phone upon trying to escape and then later had it bricked? So now i believe what i need to do is figure out how to unbrick the phone first off, and then i should be able to restore normally. And ive tried all kinds of things on doing this. Any suggestions.

Oh yea and a way to tell if a iphone is bricked FYI is if your phone is showing the connect to itunes screen but there is no slider bar at the bottom to say make an emergency call. If you have a slider the phone is not bricked if you dont have a slider the phone is bricked.

GUess no one can help me with this. Im going to be playing with it again today. Its a extra phone i have. So if any new knowledge is out there it would be a big help.

Thanks,

I have this same problem. At first I had the error code (1). Then I used tiny umbrella to get out of recovery/dfu mode. Whenever I tried to restore with error code 3194 it would go back to error code (1). I'm going to apple tomorrow and see what they can do. I'll fill y'all in with what happens.