What's new

IPhone 3G won't turn on.

i dont see anything on redsnow that says to download ios ipsw

When you click IPSW, it kinda asks you to browse for a file. Just because it doesn't tell you to download it doesn't mean you don't.

i downloaded this iPhone2,1_4.2.1_8C148a_Restore.ipsw, is this the right one if so what do i do next step by step

Re-read every post and find the post that specifically lines out the instructions on what to do.

i'm still having trouble getting into dfu mode with my power button not working

i can get as far as them telling me to put it in dfu mode but i cant go any further because it wont work

Create a DFU IPSW to use with iTunes. Go to Extras > Even More > DFU IPSW, select the iOS 4.2.1 IPSW. RedSn0w will create a ENTER_DFU_iPhone2,1_4.2.1.xxxxxx.IPSW. Open up iTunes, shift+click Restore and point it to this new DFU IPSW. Let the restore process go through. At the end of it, you'll be in DFU mode. Once you're in DFU mode, follow the guide, except you ignore the parts where it says to put the device into DFU mode since you're already in DFU mode.

Nope. Didn't give you instructions at all about creating a DFU IPSW and how to use it.

You should still have access to your device regardless of whether you've activated or not. Otherwise, open up Assistive Touch in Settings.app > General > Accessibility > AssistiveTouch > On. Then use AssistiveTouch to turn your phone off while it's unplugged. While it's off and unplugged, hold the home button down and plug it in. Keep holding the home button until you see the Recovery Mode screen. Now go to iTunes, shift+click the Restore button, point it to the DFU IPSW that you created, let it DFU your device, then follow the instructions.

Also didn't mention how to put your device into Recovery Mode so that you can actually use the IPSW

no i tried that and when i went into itunes it said that it was unable to continue with the activation at this time like before so your instructions and how to do it didnt work like i said

this is what i get $itunes.jpg

i finally got the iphone into dfu mode but redsnow says there is a usb connection problem, what do you think i should do

Uninstall your USB drivers after you've unplugged your device, reboot your computer, and see if that fixes the issue

i finally got the activation sim card issue gone but i still cant get into any apps, it just shows the emergency call option only, im gonna try your usb driver option see if i can jailreak it

dont know what i did but i got it back to the way it was,thanks for your help