What's new

iPhone 3.5mm plug in iPone jack to 2xRCA red and white plugs into stereo and no sound

eiger3970

Reaction score
Hi iphoneforums,
I thought I could listen to all my favourite digital music on my stereo system in the lounge room.
I bought a cable with a 3.5mm plug to 2 RCA plugs which are red and white.

I plugged the 3.5mm plug into the iPhone headphone plug and then plugged the 2 x RCA red and white plugs into my stereo.

I then selected 'Video' which is like 'Aux' for my stereo to play music from the 2 x RCA red and white plugs, but no sound?

The iPhone is playing music as I see the timer counting in seconds.

Any idea how to fix this one?

Hi iphoneforums, I thought I could listen to all my favourite digital music on my stereo system in the lounge room.I bought a cable with a 3.5mm plug to 2 RCA plugs which are red and white.I plugged the 3.5mm plug into the iPhone headphone plug and then plugged the 2 x RCA red and white plugs into my stereo. I then selected 'Video' which is like 'Aux' for my stereo to play music from the 2 x RCA red and white plugs, but no sound?The iPhone is playing music as I see the timer counting in seconds.Any idea how to fix this one?
I use this same setup in my shop when I'm working on cars and I've never had any issues w/ it. I'd suggest using another media device and plug it into the 3.5mm and see if it works... even an old walkman that you know plays will do the trick.

Been there done that !!
1) make sure the volume on your phone is on full
2) check the plug is fully in, if you have a case it might not be locating correctly, I had to trim 2mm of my plug to get it to work

FYI , unless you have an ampped input, I was disappointed with the sound, had to turn the volume up a long way on my 100 watt hifi amp
But the sound when I plug it into my docking station on the kitchen radio is more than acceptable

Been there done that!! 1) make sure the volume on your phone is on full 2) check the plug is fully in, if you have a case it might not be locating correctly, I had to trim 2mm of my plug to get it to work
Very good point bob!! Thank you!