What's new

ipad mini 6.1.3 jailbreak back up question

MacGuyver

Reaction score
So , I've read the
[h=2]"Can I Jailbreak my iPhone on iOS X.X.X" Thread ,[/h]and I see that my iPad mini can be jailbroken , so I've decided to give it a go to see what all the fuss is about. My iPad mini is running FW 6.1.3 , and I plan on using p0sixspwn 1.0.7 to jailbreak it.

I was just wondering about the back up process before I jailbreak it , though. I don't have anything on there that I need to save , apps/photos/music/videos/contacts etc. , so do I still need to do a backup ?
What would be the purpose of the backup in this case?
Am I doing a backup to restore the FW in case it gets corrupted during the jailbreak process?

Anything you think I should be aware of before going forward ?

I just do a backup , download the jailbreak and run it , done ? that's it?

I tried doing the jailbreak , but I'm getting an error. It's detecting the device , but after I hit the jailbreak button , I get an error.
It says downloading essentials from apple , then it says it has encountered an error an it shuts down. Then it says windows is searching for a solution, but it then says the program has stopped working and only allows me to shut it down after that.

Has anyone got any ideas as to why it's doing this?

I was watching some videos on youtube, and it seems like I"m not the only one experiencing this error.
Is it a problem that happens only with FW 6.1.3 ?
Should I upgrade to the next FW? Can I go to the next FW without going straight to the latest 7.1.1 ?
Any alternatives to this jailbreak method?

any help with some suggestions of what options I have would be greatly appreciated.

I was watching some videos on youtube, and it seems like I"m not the only one experiencing this error.
Is it a problem that happens only with FW 6.1.3 ?
Should I upgrade to the next FW? Can I go to the next FW without going straight to the latest 7.1.1 ?
Any alternatives to this jailbreak method?

any help with some suggestions of what options I have would be greatly appreciated.

It seems that a lot of people have had troubles jailbreaking iOS 6.1.3. But, it's the only firmware you've got because if you upgrade, it's to iOS 7.1.1 (which is definitely not jail breakable). You can't upgrade to any other iOS.

Take a look at this thread from our sister forum (iPad Forums): http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=121804

The member was able to successfully jailbreak his iPad running 6.1.3, maybe some of the things he did will help you.

Other than that, I've no other ideas for you. And there are no alternatives for jailbreaking iOS 6.1.3 other than using p0sixspwn. Sorry.

Marilyn

well, no luck with that. I tried it on a computer running windows xp , as the guy in the link you posted did, got the exact same error. With the amount of people experiencing the same error , I would think someone along the line found a solution.

Last edited:
just an update, I got it working by trying another computer. I still don't know what was causing the problem , which is a bit of an annoyance, but I'm satisfied with the fact that I got it to work.

Honestly speaking, I don't have a shred of clue why it works and doesn't work. Possibly the way it was coded, but there are no dependencies on OTA updates like with previous jailbreaks in the past and with Evasi0n7 as an example. There are no dependencies outside of iTunes such as C++ Redistributable, NET Framework, etc, so I'm not getting why it works for some users, and how it resolves itself on another computer that's nearly identical to the first attempt of it. UAC should not play a factor at all, nor do AV/firewalls, hosts, etc.

I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do with it now, though, lol. Guess I'll be reading some posts in the jailbreak app and tweaks forum.

I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do with it now, though, lol. Guess I'll be reading some posts in the jailbreak app and tweaks forum.

Have a look over at our sister forum, iPad Forums. We've got a pretty active iPad hacking section. One of our most favorite threads for jail breakers is this one: "ULTIMATE TWEAK LIST" -
http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=25824

That should get you a good start of what a jail broken iPad can do ... and what you can do with a jailbroken ipad.

Marilyn