What's new

iOS native weather widget

chubaka

Reaction score
Is there anyway at all to turn the native iOS weather widget into a live screensaver through a third party app that can be viewed even when phone is locked ?

I realy hope that Apple change that , so that we can in near future view are weather on lockscreen

Only thru a jailbroken iOS device.

Hopefully apple will change their minds and allow more customization that does not jeopardize security of the os. I don't want to risk jail breaking my iPhone.

Hopefully apple will change their minds and allow more customization that does not jeopardize security of the os. I don't want to risk jail breaking my iPhone.

It actually has nothing to do with the security of iOS. It has to do with two issues.

1) Jobs hated widgets because they were busy work and clutter.
2) They would have to keep iOS awake longer which uses more battery.

#2 is the interesting one. To be useful on the lock screen you would have to periodically update it. Otherwise the data would be out of date until you hit the standby or home button and then give the widget time to update. So a quick glance won't cut it because you could be reading old data when you do look. BTW that is how the weather widget in the notification area currently works.

It actually has nothing to do with the security of iOS. It has to do with two issues.

1) Jobs hated widgets because they were busy work and clutter.
2) They would have to keep iOS awake longer which uses more battery.

#2 is the interesting one. To be useful on the lock screen you would have to periodically update it. Otherwise the data would be out of date until you hit the standby or home button and then give the widget time to update. So a quick glance won't cut it because you could be reading old data when you do look. BTW that is how the weather widget in the notification area currently works.

You make some interesting points.