What's new

iOS 8 Storage Space Class Action Lawsuit Filed Against Apple

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
1104-1410458978-780d219a50a1b6edef4620c2bc17b386.png

MacRumors reports that Apple has had another class action lawsuit filed against it in a federal court in the U.S.

This latest lawsuit alleges that Apple’s latest iOS software, iOS 8, does not inform users exactly how much storage space it will take up when it is installed.

The plaintiffs in the lawsuit say that iOS 8 can take up as much as 23.1% of the overall storage capacity of an iOS device, but nowhere is this advertised to the buyer.

The plaintiffs refer to specific occasions such as sporting events or weddings when they find themselves desperate for more space, and accuse Apple of “sharp business tactics” by then going on to sell more storage capacity to the user.

The plaintiff’s attorney, William Anderson, of Cuneo Gilbert & Laduca in Washington, D.C., said that they are seeking damages and changes to Apple’s policy under California state law.

“We feel that there are a substantial number of Apple consumers that have been shortchanged,” said Anderson in a statement. “And we’ll be pursuing the claims vigorously.”

Source: Apple Hit With Class Action Lawsuit Over Large iOS 8 Storage Space - Mac Rumors

I wouldn't be surprised if this lawsuit was instigated by and is being driven by the class action lawyers involved for the sole purpose of generating multimillion dollar legal fees. As to Apple not informing users as to how much storage space is required for the installation process, it's clearly shown on the software update screen exactly how much storage space is required for the installation process.

In addition, most of that required storage space is freed up after the installation is complete. That point is seemingly ignored by the plaintiffs.

Also, why would anyone want to upgrade their iOS version in the middle of a sporting event or a wedding?

Last edited:
Because this is the type of carp that we should be focusing on. Whether or not someone can take pictures with their phones.

With everything that is going in in the world.... This is what people have to worry about.. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1104-1410458978-780d219a50a1b6edef4620c2bc17b386.png

MacRumors reports that Apple has had another class action lawsuit filed against it in a federal court in the U.S.

This latest lawsuit alleges that Apple’s latest iOS software, iOS 8, does not inform users exactly how much storage space it will take up when it is installed.

The plaintiffs in the lawsuit say that iOS 8 can take up as much as 23.1% of the overall storage capacity of an iOS device, but nowhere is this advertised to the buyer.

The plaintiffs refer to specific occasions such as sporting events or weddings when they find themselves desperate for more space, and accuse Apple of “sharp business tactics” by then going on to sell more storage capacity to the user.

The plaintiff’s attorney, William Anderson, of Cuneo Gilbert & Laduca in Washington, D.C., said that they are seeking damages and changes to Apple’s policy under California state law.

Source: Apple Hit With Class Action Lawsuit Over Large iOS 8 Storage Space - Mac Rumors
Yeah I wonder also why they didn't release a detailed changelog when the update was released.

Yeah I wonder also why they didn't release a detailed changelog when the update was released.
They do this with every update. When you go to Settings - General - Software Update, and a new update is available, you'll see how much storage space it will need and all the new features and/or bug fixes, before you update.

Also, you'll find the information on Apple's websites.

I wouldn't be surprised if this lawsuit was instigated by and is being driven by the class action lawyers involved for the sole purpose of generating multimillion dollar legal fees. As to Apple not informing users as to how much storage space is required for the installation process, it's clearly shown on the software update screen exactly how much storage space is required for the installation process.

In addition, most of that required storage space is freed up after the installation is complete. That point is seemingly ignored by the plaintiffs.

Also, why would anyone want to upgrade their iOS version in the middle of a sporting event or a wedding?
What I see when I update OTA, is how much space the update will take afterwards. Or how much bigger the OS will be. It does not tell me I will need 5.7 gb to update. Nor does it show the full amount of space the OS will use of the 16 gb (in my case). It only shows the additional amount. IOS 8.1 took an additional 69.9 mb. LOL But I have no idea exactly how much space the OS Takes. I can guess.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420399904.140050.jpg

Sent from CrapaTalk on my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

Last edited:
What I see when I update OTA, is how much space the update will take afterwards. Or how much bigger the OS will be. It does not tell me I will need 5.7 gb to update. It may tell that updating with iTunes, but not OTA.

I see the exact opposite on my iPhone. When attempting to update OTA it tells me how bis the update it is, and if I don't have enough space on the phone it tells me how much storage space is required for the update. If I do the update through iTunes on my computer it tells me how bis the update is but not how much space is required for the installation process as most of the procedure is done on the computer except for the final installation and verification steps.

I see the exact opposite on my iPhone. When attempting to update OTA it tells me how bis the update it is, and if I don't have enough space on the phone it tells me how much storage space is required for the update. If I do the update through iTunes on my computer it tells me how bis the update is but not how much space is required for the installation process as most of the procedure is done on the computer except for the final installation and verification steps.
See my edit. That's all I see OTA.

That's what I see as well, unless there's not enough free storage space. In that case it will state that there's not enough free storage and how much free storage is needed. The 69.9 MB size of the update is not how much larger the updated iOS will be, but merely the size of the update file. The update file will replace the portions of the iOS being updated with the contents of that update file. The total size of the updated iOS will be less than the combination of its pre-update size and the size of the update file.

Every news article I have seen on this lawsuit also shows how much space the ios takes on iphone compared to other OS space taken on the other brands of cell phones. The IOS, even IOS8 takes up less space than the others. I am assuming that the bloat ware. But really, this one needs to get tossed.

Every news article I have seen on this lawsuit also shows how much space the ios takes on iphone compared to other OS space taken on the other brands of cell phones. The IOS, even IOS8 takes up less space than the others. I am assuming that the bloat ware. But really, this one needs to get tossed.
I do find it interesting that with each new OS. there's just a bit less available space on a phone. IOS 7 took an additional 200 mb. I don't recall iOS 8, but I think it was less than that. At any rate, at what point will it squeeze out the 16 gb model as the base phone? It should be now. Without a computer, it's a hassle to update OTA with a 16 gb phone. So it'll be interesting to see if Apple drops the 16 gb and make the 32 gb the base.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

I do find it interesting that with each new OS. there's just a bit less available space on a phone. IOS 7 took an additional 200 mb. I don't recall iOS 8, but I think it was less than that. At any rate, at what point will it squeeze out the 16 gb model as the base phone? It should be now. Without a computer, it's a hassle to update OTA with a 16 gb phone. So it'll be interesting to see if Apple drops the 16 gb and make the 32 gb the base.

In my opinion they should have dropped the 16GB version with the introduction of the iPhone 6 and 6 plus.

I am betting, when they had this discussion at Apple, they thought pricing the 64GB at the previous 32GB price would entice lots to move up to 64 rather than go down to 16. step two, no more 8GB iphones. There will always be those that won't pay more for more GB but I wonder, at what point will the available 16s be more limited. It seems that Apple wasn't willing to price the 32 GB at the old 16Gb price. The margins or something must be why.

According to Apple, they think the 16 gb iPhone is their best seller because of the storage capacity of 16 gb. I don't believe they actually believe that. They have to know it's price. But that's what they said as their reason for keeping the 16 gb model.

Why not 5gig per devise? When i got my my first iphone i got 5 gig if i had created different account for each devise i would have 20 gig. Give me 5 gig per active devise on my account. Ipad iphone imac apple tv. No?

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk