What's new

iOS 6 Maps is Actually Excellent Offline

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
8398-ios-6-maps-complaints.JPG

We’ve all had a lot of fun since the release of iOS 6 having a big of a giggle at Apple’s new, in-house Maps app and its shortcomings. However, it’s not all bad news on the Maps front for Apple, as according to AppleInsider, the offline facility for the Maps app is apparently very impressive indeed, with the vector maps being so efficient that you can download much larger maps to your iPhone or iPad than with the previous version. Use of vectors means that around 80% less data is used in the app than in the previous app, with much bigger maps being downloaded faster, and thus saving you data and battery life. So sophisticated is Apple’s new Maps technology, that the efficient map outlines will work offline over much greater distances. For example, AppleInsider says that once it has downloaded the vector maps at a San Francisco location, high-level maps of the entire continent were available to view offline, north from Anchorage, Alaska to Lima, Peru and from Honolulu, Hawaii to Montreal, Canada.

Thanks to Super Moderator KevinJS for the heads-up on this story and the additional information. Check out his posts all about his experiences trucking around Western Canada here: On the road and off it too.

Source: Apple's new iOS 6 Maps support automatic offline use for a wide area

Thanks, Maura. I should just point out that the thread is on our sister forum, ipadforums.net.

You don't need to be a member to view our threads over there, but you'll need to join up to comment.

And as a SERIOUS user of mapping, I have to say that Apple have done a pretty good job. I have atlases that cost big bucks that don't do such a good job. If anyone wants to mess around with toys like street view or flyover, who am I to say they shouldn't? but when it comes to getting to where you are supposed to be, Apple Maps does a more than OK job.

Sent from my iPad using iPF.net

Thanks, Maura. I should just point out that the thread is on our sister forum, ipadforums.net.

You don't need to be a member to view our threads over there, but you'll need to join up to comment.

And as a SERIOUS user of mapping, I have to say that Apple have done a pretty good job. I have atlases that cost big bucks that don't do such a good job. If anyone wants to mess around with toys like street view or flyover, who am I to say they shouldn't? but when it comes to getting to where you are supposed to be, Apple Maps does a more than OK job.

Sent from my iPad using iPF.net

Yes thanks Kevin, I forgot which forum we were on for a minute! Looking forward to reading the updates on your thread.