What's new

iOS 5 Newsstand GLITCH, Hide In Folder NO JAILBREAK NEEDED!

PhilSynowiec

iPhoneForums.net News Team
Reaction score

One of the new features in iOS 5 was the magazine subscription service application, Newsstand. This service is cool if you use it and very useful for downloading your latest subscriptions. But let's face it, not all of us use it or read magazines on our iDevices. Apple did not give us the ability to hide the app icon if it's not needed but the good thing is, there's a glitch. Jiggle your icons by holding one down. After that put Newsstand next to any two apps so you can tap it quickly. Now in a fast motion you're going to have to make a folder with two apps and hold down the Newsstand up while the folder is being made. You have a split second to tap Newsstand especially if you're on a 4S which creates folders a lot quicker. It might take you a few tries but it's real simple once you get it.

Now you have successfully got Newsstand out of your way without the need of a Jailbreak. Tapping Newsstand while in a folder will make your iDevice crash so watch out, but it's also just a quick respring, noting bad. Leave your comments below =]

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a bad idea... iOS does not handle nested folders and this is what you are doing. If you try to access the Newsstand while it's nested you will crash the device.

It's a bug... Who knows what other instabilities this might cause.

It's a bad idea... iOS does not handle nested folders and this is what you are doing. If you try to access the Newsstand while it's nested you will crash the device.

It's a bug... Who knows what other instabilities this might cause.

That is true but those who hide it like me never want to use it and just want it out of the way, you never know when it might come in handy but if I was jailbroken atm I would of deleted it from the phone all together

That is true but those who hide it like me never want to use it and just want it out of the way, you never know when it might come in handy but if I was jailbroken atm I would of deleted it from the phone all together

If you know for a fact that doing this will not result in other problems, and your testing has shown no possible issues like iOS temp file cleanups, or backups missing data, etc. then go for it.

I don't know how to effectively system test this bug for any side effects, but as a developer with nearly 30 years experience, I would never knowingly exploit a bug like this.

My recommendation is just to put it on its own page at the end of your app list and forget about it.