What's new

iOS 12 and Mail App Issues

Junior

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone else is experiencing this issue, or if it's just me.

Haven't really noticed at what point it started happening (either before or after the most recent update) but I find that sporadically, the mail app will be hung up. Frozen. I launch it and nothing pushes or fetches in either my public emails or even my icloud emails.

When I drag down to refresh (force email refresh) it sometimes gets stuck. The only way I've managed to get it to fix is if I manually close the app and relaunch... sometimes on the first try, other times it takes 2 or 3 tries before it goes back to working normally again.

Am I alone?

I'm currently on iOS 12.1.4 on iPhone XS Max 512

I wonder if this qualifies for a visit to the Apple store.

Weird how it only affects the Mail app. Everything else seems to be flawless, just that app is struggling since the update.

Do you have more than one email account and if so does the same problem affect all accounts?

I'm not having any problems with any of my mail apps on my Xs Max (12.1.4) either. Have you tried deleting all of your mail apps and reinstalling?

Do you have more than one email account and if so does the same problem affect all accounts?

I had my work email (exchange server)
Hotmail/Outook
iCloud
Gmail

I did rigorous testing over the last few days and been trying to control and mimmic what I was experiencing so that I could be better prepared should I need a visit to the apple store. So I removed and re added-one account at a time and found the problem to be with Outlook/Hotmail. Anytime I had this account setup it made the mail app freeze and hang up. Removed it altogether and it works as it should.

I've gone ahead and downloaded the Outlook App from the App Store and use that account on it's own now. Everything is back to normal.

As you were.

I had my work email (exchange server)
Hotmail/Outook
iCloud
Gmail

I did rigorous testing over the last few days and been trying to control and mimmic what I was experiencing so that I could be better prepared should I need a visit to the apple store. So I removed and re added-one account at a time and found the problem to be with Outlook/Hotmail. Anytime I had this account setup it made the mail app freeze and hang up. Removed it altogether and it works as it should.

I've gone ahead and downloaded the Outlook App from the App Store and use that account on it's own now. Everything is back to normal.

As you were.
I’m glad you’ve solved your problem. Thanks for letting us know.