What's new

Intermittent Badge & Sound for email -

ImDrRichard

Reaction score
Hi -

I've got 3 email accounts and they all work! Well, as the title says, one of them doesn't notify me all the time when a new email arrives, meaning no Badge and no sound.

I've played with all the settings in sounds and notifications and mail, etc., but the problem still occurs.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks-
Richard

Jailbroken or stock? What version of iOS and what model phone? What type of e-mail account isn't notifying you?

As you can see, we need a little more info to help you!

Stock iPhone 4s, latest ios, gmail ok, at&t intermittent.
Thanks-
R

ImDrRichard said:
Stock iPhone 4s, latest ios, gmail ok, at&t intermittent.
Thanks-
R

This is how it's suppose to be with a Gmail account.

When you add a Gmail account its settings are automatically different from the other accounts. Why? I have no idea, this is how you change some of its settings tho. (tho its not what you want:()

Settings> Mail, Contacts, Calendars> Fetch New Data> Advanced>

Now that does not show you how to fix your problem, it only shows that unlike the other accounts, where you can select "Push", you only have the choice of "Manual" and "Fetch". Make sure "Fetch" is checked, if that is truly what you desire.

Now go back to where you see the "Push" toggle.

Now you can choose between 4 options for your Gmail account.

1)Every 15 Minutes
2)Every 30 Minutes
3)Hourly
4)Manually.

Now since all your other accounts are most likely setup to Push in "Advanced" settings, these 4 options only apply to your Gmail account.

Since you want to be notified as soon as you get an email (which you cannot do
With a Gmail account) you have no choice then to check the "Every 15 Minutes" tab.

This will not notify you as soon as you get an email, but instead will check the account very 15 minutes.

Despite what you may here, the "Fetch" option drains slightly more battery than "Push". But since you cannot choose Push for a Gmail account, you have to either choose when you want your phone to "Fetch" the potential incoming emails, or simply keep "Manually" checked and just open the Mail app when you want to check your Gmail account.

It is recommend that you choose to manually check this as it saves more battery than Fetching.

But to really answer your question.....Apple (for whatever reason) decided that they would not give Gmail the option to have emails "Pushed" to the device, no matter what the settings.

I just keep my Gmail account on manually. Saves more battery.

Last edited:

When you add a Gmail account its settings are automatically different from the other accounts. Why? I have no idea, this is how you change some of its settings tho. (tho its not what you want:()

Now that does not show you how to fix your problem, it only shows that unlike the other accounts, where you can select "Push", you only have the choice of "Manual" and "Fetch". Make sure "Fetch" is checked, if that is truly what you desire.

1)Every 15 Minutes
2)Every 30 Minutes
3)Hourly
4)Manually.

Now since all your other accounts are most likely setup to Push in "Advanced" settings, these 4 options only apply to your Gmail account.

With a Gmail account) you have no choice then to check the "Every 15 Minutes" tab.

This will not notify you as soon as you get an email, but instead will check the account very 15 minutes.

Despite what you may here, the "Fetch" option drains slightly more battery than "Push". But since you cannot choose Push for a Gmail account, you have to either choose when you want your phone to "Fetch" the potential incoming emails, or simply keep "Manually" checked and just open the Mail app when you want to check your Gmail account.

It is recommend that you choose to manually check this as it saves more battery than Fetching.

But to really answer your question.....Apple (for whatever reason) decided that they would not give Gmail the option to have emails "Pushed" to the device, no matter what the settings.

I think this information is wrong. I get instant notifications from my Gmail account- just set it up as an Exchange account.

enlightened said:
I think this information is wrong. I get instant notifications from my Gmail account- just set it up as an Exchange account.

I didn't know that. But either way, this information is not wrong if you add the account via the Gmail tab when you first add the account. If you delete your account, and re-add it from the actual Gmail tab, instead of the Exchange tab, then you will see that everything I said is correct.

1)Every 15 Minutes
2)Every 30 Minutes
3)Hourly
4)Manually.

I'm reading that his Gmail account is OK...it's his AT&T account having issues...

Either way, not sure what the issue could be. I have no issues with Gmail or my POP account. I do have mine set for push "off" and fetch manually though to save on battery.

enlightened said:

Well I tried and your information is wrong. You have to actually have an Exchange account. It doesn't matter that your email says "@gmail.com".

What I said still applies. If you add an "@gmail" account to the Exchange tab, then it's an "Exchange" email account, whether it says "@gmail" or not.
There is still no way to get "Push" working for a Gmail account.

If you didn't add your Gmail account to the Gmail tab when adding the account, then it's not a gmail account....it whatever tab you used.

I can sign up for Exchange and use my Yahoo email address, and add it to Exchange in the settings......but it's still an Exchange account, and not a Yahoo! Account.

Understand?

Last edited: