What's new

Insurance the question is to buy or not to buy

The deductible is $50, which is why I went with SquareTrade. I'm not concerned about lost/stolen. I'm more concerned about dropping or breaking.

Check out Square Trade, got the 2yr contract for $81 (verizon special) covers all except loss/theft with a $90 Deductable.

I do not believe it covers that. I didn't think it was an insurance but more of an extended warranty.

Can you provide more on what the Apple OOW service is? Does it provide coverage if you drop phone?

At least with verizon is only $10/month. With ATT, it was $14.99/month plus a $199 deductable. So after 2 years, I would have paid $359.76 + deductible= $558.76. That is robbery! After 2 years, the iPhone 4 isn't even worth that much. Besides, that's like paying for a entirely new phone already. I rather choose the Apple OOW for $199.

I basically laughed at the sales guy when he gave me those numbers....

Can you provide more on what the Apple OOW service is?
Does it provide coverage if you drop phone?

If you read my first post in this thread, you would know how it works... If you drop your phone and it breaks, Apple will replace it with a refurb for $199 + your broken iPhone. Even if you drop it in the toilet they will replace for $199. They WILL NOT replace if your iPhone is lost, stolen, or broken into multiple peices. Again Apple OOW Service is NOT insurance.

Click this link below and read how it works:

Apple - Support - iPhone - Service FAQ

READ---> "For example, an iPhone that has failed due to damage or liquid damage is eligible for Out-of-Warranty service. However, certain damage is ineligible for OOW service, including catastrophic damage, such as the device separating into multiple pieces, and inoperability caused by unauthorized modifications."

So i found another company that insures iPhones and am wondering if anyone currently uses/used them and can provide some feedback. I went with the Verizon Insurance, but am seriously considering cancelling it and switching the Insurance to a 3rd party. The company I found is called 'Worth Avenue Group'. Here is a link from last June that compares them Vs. SafeWare, Squaretrade, BB, and ATT.

http://m.worthavegroup.com/iphone_comparison_sm.jpg

Although this compares the 3GS version of the iPhone, from what I can see on their website, nothing as far as what they insure has changed for the iPhone4.

The reasons I am considering WAG is for their $50 deductable, and the fact that they also cover theft, vandalism, fire/flood, speakers, and water submersion.

On their price quote page i entered in a 2 year coverage plan which came out to $160.20 (with website discount-normal price is $178). So, that breaks down to $6.68 per month for the next 2 years, and only a $50 deductable.

Pretty reasonable to me, and much better than what Verizon offers.

Thoughts/Feedback ??

The square trade 2-year deal seems pretty nice...As long as your phone isn't lost or stolen. I have been using cell phones for 17 years and never lost or had one stolen....Dropped many and had a couple fall into liquid.. (toilet & and a rather large glass of beer!!)

So i'm thinking for me this is the best deal. At a one time shot of $99.00 = $4.12 a month for 2 years of coverage with a $50.00 deductible :D And they are also throwing in a buyback plan.

Verizon iPhone Insurance Alternative | iPhone 4 Insurance | SquareTrade iPhone Warranty | SquareTrade Warranties

I wouldn't. I never think it's worth it. The only warranty I ever get is AppleCare for my MacBook pro

Anyone used or have more info on the Apple OWW?

i went ahead and got the square trade 2 year warranty. seemed like the best deal. the only thing that would have made it better is if it covered loss or theft. but for 2 years, 90 bucks.....not bad at all.