What's new

iMessage using wrong number

IrishiPhone

Reaction score
Hi all. First post so please be gentle.

I am using an iPhone 4 and upgraded to iOS5. One of the main benefits I find to this is iMessage. However, like everything good in life, I have a problem with it.

When I bought the iPhone 4 some months ago, I ported from one network to another. When I went o the new network the phone had a number assigned to it but I kept my original number during the port over. Now when I use iMessage the phone is using the phones' number as opposed to my actual telephone number that everyone has saved in their phone. Therefore, when I iMessage them I get a reply saying "Who's this?" as an unrecognised number is appearing on their screen.

I have attempted to change my number in the phone settings and on iTunes but to no avail. I'm aware I can also use my e-mail address but I don;t want everyone to have to save that aswell.

Any ideas please? :)

Hi all. First post so please be gentle.

I am using an iPhone 4 and upgraded to iOS5. One of the main benefits I find to this is iMessage. However, like everything good in life, I have a problem with it.

When I bought the iPhone 4 some months ago, I ported from one network to another. When I went o the new network the phone had a number assigned to it but I kept my original number during the port over. Now when I use iMessage the phone is using the phones' number as opposed to my actual telephone number that everyone has saved in their phone. Therefore, when I iMessage them I get a reply saying "Who's this?" as an unrecognised number is appearing on their screen.

I have attempted to change my number in the phone settings and on iTunes but to no avail. I'm aware I can also use my e-mail address but I don;t want everyone to have to save that aswell.

Any ideas please? :)

I can't help in any way yet, sadly, but if it's any consolation I have the exact same problem. I will return with an answer if I find one!

Ok fixed! I basically turned off both facetime then imessage in the settings, then turned them back on and the number has changed. There is a more in depth description here, but I didn't need to follow all the steps before everything was working again!

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3401647?start=0&tstart=0

Cheers, Steve

Last edited:
I can't help in any way yet, sadly, but if it's any consolation I have the exact same problem. I will return with an answer if I find one!

Ok fixed! I basically turned off both facetime then imessage in the settings, then turned them back on and the number has changed. There is a more in depth description here, but I didn't need to follow all the steps before everything was working again!

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3401647?start=0&tstart=0

Cheers, Steve

Excellent Steve. That's it sorted. Thanks a million!