What's new

iMessage messages crossing over

iJoe

Reaction score
We have 4 iPhones on our AT&T plan and a wifi iPad. All devices use my apple ID for apps, etc. When first configuring iMessage on all devices I was prompted for my apple ID so I logged them all in. I then removed my email address from the "receive messages" and inserted theirs except on my phone and the iPad which is mine.

The issue is that texts tend to get sent to all devices randomly. For example, my wife and I had a text conversation and it also went to my 15 year old sons phone. I have tried everything I think and ended up just shutting down iMessage on the iPad and my phone. I am not seeing the value anyway if you have unlimited texting. Still would appreciate it someone could shed some light on the issue. Thanks.

Use a common Apple ID for iTunes.

Use unique Apple IDs for each person. This ID will allow separate iMessage, and iCloud sync functions that are specific to each person.

As to whether or not iMessage itself is of any value to you, you should also think about who might message you who does not have unlimited SMS plans.

Thank you. Makes sense. I can't imagine anyone not having unlimited text plans these day, but I see your point.

I live outside the US and unlimited text plans don't even exist here...

There those damn US centric people go again! Now I see.

I also have an unlimited text plan in my country , France , but it doesn't work when I'm abroad or texting to someone in another country.
So for me iMessage is a huge help .

iJoe said:
We have 4 iPhones on our AT&T plan and a wifi iPad. All devices use my apple ID for apps, etc. When first configuring iMessage on all devices I was prompted for my apple ID so I logged them all in. I then removed my email address from the "receive messages" and inserted theirs except on my phone and the iPad which is mine.

The issue is that texts tend to get sent to all devices randomly. For example, my wife and I had a text conversation and it also went to my 15 year old sons phone. I have tried everything I think and ended up just shutting down iMessage on the iPad and my phone. I am not seeing the value anyway if you have unlimited texting. Still would appreciate it someone could shed some light on the issue. Thanks.

I was told that whatever numbers/email addresses you have linked to your iMessage acct all devices sharing that info will get the messages. Unlike you, this is what I wanted and became VERY frustrated that it wasn't working out like that. However, since the ipad cannot be linked up to the cell number, I would suggest that when texting between you and your wife just use the cell number and not the associated email to ensure delivery to only her.

It just seems too complicated of a service to configure when you want privacy. In your case it's all good. I just feel like since ios5 I can't send a text and be sure it is not being read by everyone or someone on my plan.