What's new

iMessage delivers but call says phone is disconnected

DixieRedneck

Reaction score
I tried getting in touch with a friend who recently moved, they have an iPhone 4 and I have a 4s. When I tried texting it showed green and said not delivered. I tried again few days later and then it was blue for iMessage and said not delivered. Then yesterday I tried and sent an iMessage and it said it had been delivered. Now the problem is when I try calling the person I get a recording saying the number has been changed, disconnected or out of service. So how are my iMessages now going thru when it says number is disconnected? I know they still have the iPhone if that makes a difference. It's given me the recording ever since I started to contact them again just now the messages say they are delivered.

Any help is appreciated!

I tried getting in touch with a friend who recently moved, they have an iPhone 4 and I have a 4s. When I tried texting it showed green and said not delivered. I tried again few days later and then it was blue for iMessage and said not delivered. Then yesterday I tried and sent an iMessage and it said it had been delivered. Now the problem is when I try calling the person I get a recording saying the number has been changed, disconnected or out of service. So how are my iMessages now going thru when it says number is disconnected? I know they still have the iPhone if that makes a difference. It's given me the recording ever since I started to contact them again just now the messages say they are delivered.

Any help is appreciated!

Check your carrier and see what's going on with your account. If you're unable to make calls and send texts, there may be an interruption in your service.

iMessages are independent of calling and texting. iMessages uses data/wifi, so as long as you have a working internet connection, you can send iMessages

I can text and call people. It's just that one person whom when I call their phone I get that message of it saying it's been changed or disconnected. But the iMessages are delivering now.

If they dropped the cell service but still have the phone on wifi imessage would still deliver. I had my phone number turned on in my ipad on accident and was getting the messages sent to my phone on there as well which as indicated above is because imessage is independent of the cell service.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using iPF.net

I have my ipohone set to accept text to my phone number or my email address. Maybe they are going thru to the email address and the phone number of your friend has changed and the friend has not provided you a new contact number. Which is basically what I see you someone else has given you a better explaination of. Hopefully, your friend finds another way to make contact.

Ok so I understand that imessage pretty much sends to their Apple ID, but now regular (green) SMS texts are saying delivered as well. The number is still disconnected though. So how would SMS texts be going thru now?