What's new

Identifying facetime users in your contact list

walterdavid

Reaction score
Is there a way your Iphone 4 can identify Facetime users in your contact list, or do you have to personally call everyone in your list to ask them if they have Facetime capabilities? Tango will scan your contacts to determine if they are Tango users. Any such mechanism for Face time?

Is there a way your Iphone 4 can identify Facetime users in your contact list, or do you have to personally call everyone in your list to ask them if they have Facetime capabilities? Tango will scan your contacts to determine if they are Tango users. Any such mechanism for Face time?

I don't know the answer to this but it's a flipping good question.

iHolophyte

Not that I am aware of.. but yet, I'm an iPhone newbie. I just know who has an iPhone on ios 5 and call them that way...

If you hit facetime and the person is not on wifi or doesn't have facetime, the facetime wont connect.

Only received two responses. All of the other videochat programs can search your contact list to look for videochat capabilities. Facetime should be able to do the same. Apple has the capability of locating all of their Iphones' in use, so why are we not able to facetime capabilities from our contact lists? Tango and Oovoou, and other similar videochat programs have no problem in allowing us to glean that info from our contact lists. Am I missing something here? As someone suggested, I suppose I could poll all of my contacts about their Facetime capabilities.

ask as you add them is one way what phone they have? there is no way the device can know

Only received two responses. All of the other videochat programs can search your contact list to look for videochat capabilities. Facetime should be able to do the same. Apple has the capability of locating all of their Iphones' in use, so why are we not able to facetime capabilities from our contact lists? Tango and Oovoou, and other similar videochat programs have no problem in allowing us to glean that info from our contact lists. Am I missing something here? As someone suggested, I suppose I could poll all of my contacts about their Facetime capabilities.

Hi there.

Unfortunately you can't do that (I mean identify facetime users on your contact list).

The other programs (Tango, Whatsapp for messages, Viber etc) are third party software, and they are built that way, so that you know who you can send messages to or call that has the program.

It is like having MSN and being online, you can see which of your contacts have MSN on the chat list.

Facetime is just a feature, not a separate program, so it can't be identified.

It might be possible as the ios sdk has such possibilities, Let me see if i can crack it through.