What's new

iCloud storage

Marie86

Reaction score
What exactly uses the iCloud storage. Is it any photos or videos you have on your phone and emails? Does the iCloud sharing use iCloud space? Reason I ask is on my phone it says my icloud starage is full yet I can still receive photos through the iCloud sharing. I’m wondering if I will need to open more iCloud accounts to save more photos and videos as I refuse to pay the monthly rate to get more storage. If it was one off cost then maybe but not a monthly cost.

iCloud Photo Sharing keeps images and videos in iCloud, but this doesn’t count against your iCloud storage space. iCloud doesn’t store images, it syncs them, btw.

If you want to see what uses iCloud storage, go to Settings - your name - iCloud - Manage Storage.

Opening additional iCloud accounts won’t get you any more storage. You are entitled to 5 GB and if you require more there are tiered charges according to how much you need.

I refuse to pay the monthly rate to get more storage. If it was one off cost then maybe but not a monthly cost.

For $11.88/year plus tax if applicable, you could have an additional 45 GB. Most people will spend that much on coffee in less than a week. For $35.88/year plus tax if applicable, you could have an additional 195 GB. Not so bad if you look at it that way IMO.

If you’ve already created one iCloud ID on this device, you won’t be able to create another one.

Thanks for replies seems I will never need the 5mb icloud starage on the free icloud as the shared doesn’t count for storage. Is there any limit on space in the shared iCloud?

iCloud Photo Library

I think you should read this before telling people that photos don't occupy iCloud storage. Apple gives very little away for nothing. And the real bad news is I uploaded about 80-100 folders (8,000+ photos) worth of beautifully organised photos. What I got after having to buy extra storage to accommodate them was one folder with 8,000+ photos. A damn nuisance having to scroll through them all to find one photo.

iCloud Photo Library

I think you should read this before telling people that photos don't occupy iCloud storage. Apple gives very little away for nothing. And the real bad news is I uploaded about 80-100 folders (8,000+ photos) worth of beautifully organised photos. What I got after having to buy extra storage to accommodate them was one folder with 8,000+ photos. A damn nuisance having to scroll through them all to find one photo.
iCloud Photo Sharing is not exactly the same as iCloud Photo Library. I didn’t say that they don’t occupy iCloud storage. Shared albums don’t count against your iCloud storage.
6783C8B1-EB28-4C0E-9345-B264E075029F.jpeg

If you run out of iCloud storage space, create shared photo albums, share them with yourself (only possible when you also have an email address other than your iCloud ID) and save the images there. They’ll be organized, and you won’t have to pay for iCloud storage, if you don’t exceed the free 5 GB with something else.

For $11.88/year plus tax if applicable, you could have an additional 45 GB. Most people will spend that much on coffee in less than a week. For $35.88/year plus tax if applicable, you could have an additional 195 GB. Not so bad if you look at it that way IMO.

Ha, I never knew that. Thanks. On my iPad I always get notifications that it couldn't backup because not enough space. I always just clear the notification because I also refuse to pay for extra storage. I had no idea that's how much it was though lol. I'll sign up for it tonight.

Ha, I never knew that. Thanks. On my iPad I always get notifications that it couldn't backup because not enough space. I always just clear the notification because I also refuse to pay for extra storage. I had no idea that's how much it was though lol. I'll sign up for it tonight.

Yeah it really isn’t that bad. I’m still ok at the 5 GB for free, but if I ever need to upgrade I will. I’d rather pay $12/year then to have my phone crash and I haven’t done a backup in a long time. The small amount of $ is nothing compared to the frustration that could cause.

For a quick reference:

IMG_1403.jpg