What's new

I want to factory reset trusted device iphone x

stanleymac0

Reaction score
I have brand new Iphone 10. I've set up new apple id. Now i plan to reset my iphone (security reasons), but here is the thing. Last time i had iphone (7plus) it was two factor verification. It ment that my phone number was my trusted device so i switched a lot between devices. I later had to use android for a wihle since i was abroad.
Now i am back on iphone (10) and it seems they made some changes around. Its now called Two factor authentication insead of verification and it requires trusted device as accompanied with phone number. So this trusted device must always be available to recognize your entry, Now i dont have any apple device apart from the phone. I was told by a friend that if i factory reset the phone will no longer be assosiated with the apple it become sort of new phone after the reset. And when i try to log in with it it will still request the good old trusted device which is already reseted (my phone) and i will be locked out, will have to call apple survices and God Almighty. With new apple ids (mine is 1 week old) i cant turn off two factor authentication.

So if i get it right, if i sign out and reset my iphone i will no longer be able to access my apple id since it will count it as new device trying to log in. What shall i do in this situation? Thanks, Stan :)

I have brand new Iphone 10. I've set up new apple id. Now i plan to reset my iphone (security reasons), but here is the thing. Last time i had iphone (7plus) it was two factor verification. It ment that my phone number was my trusted device so i switched a lot between devices. I later had to use android for a wihle since i was abroad.
Now i am back on iphone (10) and it seems they made some changes around. Its now called Two factor authentication insead of verification and it requires trusted device as accompanied with phone number. So this trusted device must always be available to recognize your entry, Now i dont have any apple device apart from the phone. I was told by a friend that if i factory reset the phone will no longer be assosiated with the apple it become sort of new phone after the reset. And when i try to log in with it it will still request the good old trusted device which is already reseted (my phone) and i will be locked out, will have to call apple survices and God Almighty. With new apple ids (mine is 1 week old) i cant turn off two factor authentication.

So if i get it right, if i sign out and reset my iphone i will no longer be able to access my apple id since it will count it as new device trying to log in. What shall i do in this situation? Thanks, Stan :)

You can go to this website:

https://appleid.apple.com/#!&page=signin

Log in with your Apple ID & password and go to security. Once you’re there you can disable two factor authentication. Reset your iPhone, then go into settings on your phone once it’s reset and re-enable two factor authentication.

No i cant disable two factor authentication. I doesnt allow after ios 11. I've checked it.

Some say the phone number should do the trick, other say ever since apple changed verification to authentication it wont work it will request verification code from trusted device. I cant play the roulette here..

No i cant disable two factor authentication. I doesnt allow after ios 11. I've checked it.

Did you go to the website I listed in my last post? I’m on iOS 11.2.5 beta and have no problem disabling two factor authentication using that website.

Op sorry mattfuy10. i am currently chatting from web caffe and i cant access the link since i am on windows laptop. I will try it when i go home with the phone but here is the thing- i checked everything possible in apple managment page. look this

Can I turn off two-factor authentication?
You can't turn off two-factor authentication for some accounts created in iOS 10.3 and later. If you created your Apple ID in an earlier version of iOS, you can turn off two-factor authentication.

My account was created week ago on the newest IOS so i fear i am in this section. Two factor authentication simply cannot be switched off its some form of apple security.

Op sorry mattfuy10. i am currently chatting from web caffe and i cant access the link since i am on windows laptop. I will try it when i go home with the phone but here is the thing- i checked everything possible in apple managment page. look this

Can I turn off two-factor authentication?
You can't turn off two-factor authentication for some accounts created in iOS 10.3 and later. If you created your Apple ID in an earlier version of iOS, you can turn off two-factor authentication.

I apologize. I just read this myself. I created my Apple ID long before iOS 10.3 so I didn’t realize that was a factor. I have never run into the issue you’re having because I also have a MacBook Pro that can be sent a six digit code to allow me to sign into my iPhone with my Apple ID after a factory reset. There must be a way around this. Hopefully someone else will read this thread and chime in.

No problem. Well i dont really need to factory reset. I wanted to give it fresh start because i overused a lot of apps and visited some sites that i consider dangerous. Also i swapped a few sim cards from friends because they needed to make calls on different ocasions. So i am a bit paranoid and i wanted to reset the phone since althout i probably imagine that i think the phone is like tinny bit of slower not, but it may be just me with my imagination. But i by no means will reset if i have no certain answer abut will i get locked after that. So i will wait for more answers :) Good day to you and thanks for trying to help :)

No problem. Well i dont really need to factory reset. I wanted to give it fresh start because i overused a lot of apps and visited some sites that i consider dangerous. Also i swapped a few sim cards from friends because they needed to make calls on different ocasions. So i am a bit paranoid and i wanted to reset the phone since althout i probably imagine that i think the phone is like tinny bit of slower not, but it may be just me with my imagination. But i by no means will reset if i have no certain answer abut will i get locked after that. So i will wait for more answers :) Good day to you and thanks for trying to help :)

No problem and good luck! If I find the answer, I will report back here. [emoji2]

Apple provided two step verification at first, then it added two factor authentication. Both are a bit different.

If you don’t have another trusted Apple device, there’s no way out. We had someone else in the same situation, not long ago, who didn’t remember the iCloud ID’s password, and was unable to erase the iPhone.

Your only chance is to contact Apple. They might be able to help.

Thanks J.A. Well at this point, i will skip the reset. Until i find a second device to add as secure. Thanks for the help :) I am glad i wrote here first before doing the mistake :)

Thanks J.A. Well at this point, i will skip the reset. Until i find a second device to add as secure. Thanks for the help :) I am glad i wrote here first before doing the mistake :)

Ok here is an option...

You will need to verify that your current phone number is listed as a trusted phone number in your account.

So, after you reset your device and you are going through the set assistant you will get to the part where it will ask you how you want to set up the device. You can select set up as a new device... it will then ask for your Apple ID... you select “don’t have one”... then once on the screen that is offering you to create an Apple ID there is a small link that states “set up later in settings” this will allow you to bypass the adding an Apple ID part and get the phone activated so you can receive phone calls and texts. Then you can go to settings and sign in to your Apple ID with the code being sent by text or a phone call.

droidprincess good day to you :) Yes that was what i was planning, but again what if it somehow requests the trusted device again. AS we now know apple switched from verification to authentication. My password and phone number seem enough to me but what if they arent. After the faactory reset it will be considered new phone and what if phone number doesnt do the trick. I cant turn two factour authentication off since my account is made after IOS 10.3 or something like that. Also i have no recovery key. What comes to my mind is to request a code vrom the trusted device and reset the phone hoping the code would still be active like 6-7 minutes later when the ohone is done but how can i risk that..

For example. when i from my phone i try to enter apple id managment page through safari, once i log it imidattly sends me notification that new device is trying to log (although its my same phone just from the browser) so i have to allow verification code to be sended, after i allow it the code is sended to my phone and i enter it only than i can access the managment page, And this is happening on my own phone, imagine if i am logged out with freshly reseted device- i am very certain i will be locked out :(