What's new

I phone SE keyboard

Russtopher

Reaction score
For those of you not satisfied with the stock keyboard, what do you use or recommend as an alternative?

Thanks

Why so many negative reviews on the SwiftKey app?
I think it depends on the person using it and how they use it. They do a similar thing but they do it differently. For me, sometimes Swiftkey seems more positive but overall I get better accuracy with Swype. But I have used Swype much more. If I used Swiftkey enough maybe I'd adapt to it and like it as much or better. There is enough difference in them that switching from one to another doesn't seem like a good idea. Getting used to one seems to make the other seem worse when returning to it. Try both, see which one works best for you, and use that one. That's my recommendation. Neither are perfect and both could stand improvements, but it's probably hard to satisfy everyone. Some people prefer a 9 key type of keyboard. I have a friend who does and he can type like mad on it. Faster than I can with Swype. Takes practice though. They're available on the app store.

One thing about Swype and Swiftkey is that they don't work as well in iOS as they do in Android. In Android they connect to a cloud based database for autocorrect which greatly helps them to recognize words. Apple doesn't allow third party keyboards to "phone home" like that for security reasons which I tend to agree with. A keyboard that relies on an online database or service could potentially be recording your keystrokes. So on iOS it has to rely on local data which isn't as complete. Of course you can add words to the personal dictionary. One thing you will notice in iOS when using these keyboard apps is that when you are entering a password, the default iOS keyboard will be used instead. This is also for security reasons. Apple is all about security, even if it reduces the functionality of the apps, and I am grateful for that. Especially in the post Edward Snowden et al. days. Security over convenience.

I really missed my swiftkey from my android phones and when I got my new iPhone se I was seriously considering returning it on day one with the way that I had to hunt and peck one letter at a time.

Then I found swiftkey and it was a disapointment on the iphone, but kept looking until I found the Microsoft Word "word flow" keyboard and now it's feeling a whole lot more like my old android swiftkey keyboard, where it so far recognizes most of what I input.

I still miss being able to use my voice to send text messages quickly. Use to use it daily to send text messages on my Android phones.